Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
An alternative to tying the fringe on those fleece blankets >

An alternative to tying the fringe on those fleece blankets

An alternative to tying the fringe on those fleece blankets

Old 12-12-2010, 09:00 AM

Yes! I think too if you do the fringe the rotary cutter method, it lays flatter too. If you really want a change, you could also cut the ends of the fringe to a point. I have done the same method while making long fleece scarves.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by susiequilt
I could be wrong but from the picture it looks like you are using only one layer of fabric.
The fleece throws I made were two layers of coordinating fabric and tying the strips held both pieces together. I guess you could make a bigger hole and pull them both through.
One layer is plenty in Texas. LOL. But I get them donated all the time double and so warm. SOmetimes if we are short quilts for PL we divide them out for more. All good ideas . Thanks for sharing. At the Houston Quilt show, we let anyone sit and sew or crochet. We had 36 x 36 fleece quilts cut and ran a special cutter around the edge to make little slits and some of us crocheted around the fleece quilts a few rows and they were so cute. YOu can SC or DC or trc. I will add a picture later. *H*U*G*S*
Old 12-12-2010, 09:26 AM

wow, really great idea....
i'm working right now on a "crochet edge" for a panel i bought in Boy Scouts of America, anniversay piece...will try to post a pic... before i gift it...
ps... the "cure" scarf is adorable...
Old 12-12-2010, 09:31 AM

Up north we made our fleece creations double sided with the tied fringe. I must have made over thirty. Then we moved south, oh yeah, do not want snow(well today it is raining - no beach time) and found out the fleece can be made with just one side. A light cover for year around use in the a/c.

But I might try the idea of two sides, sew it and just finish the ends.
I have used the wave rotary blade to finish the sides and ends. For me being blessed with arthritis, it is easier than cutting the individual fringe. The pinking edge does not work out as well. A heads up-those blades are really rough and grinding on the mat but I have an old mat.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:51 AM

I have what may seem a silly question, but I have done minimal work with any fabric other than cottons. Is there a special type of fleece that is considered to be "no-sew" or can I just buy whatever feels nice and has a good price at JoAnn's? TIA!!!
Old 12-12-2010, 09:55 AM

AS an active member of a Linus Chapter we prefer the fleece blankets to be single layers unless they are very thin fleece. Your method of tying looks great. I will have to try it and pass the idea along to our blanketeers.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:59 AM

Any fleece is good. Still make the small hole to pull the fringe through. Remember, fleece is stretchy and and you want it to be snug so it stays put.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:41 AM

This may sound like a silly question, but how do you make sure your cuts are all same depth into fleece when using a rotary cutter? I want to try making one of these but have serious cutting anxiety.
Sorcha
Old 12-12-2010, 10:46 AM

I would like to know also.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:46 AM

I've seen a similar technique when making these fleece blankets when you are using two layers sandwiched together (just finished two of these for my grandchildren)and wondered how they did it. The way it looks to me after seeing your technique is as if they made the hole at an angle above the fringe sections and then pulled both pieces through the hole at the same time. Makes a really neat finish.

Thurma