Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I a fabric addict? >

Am I a fabric addict?

Am I a fabric addict?

Old 10-14-2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches
Told hubby that if I should bite the big one anytime soon, for heaven's sake don't take the totes of fabric to the landfill. There could be BIG $$ for him from the fabric if he took the time to ebay it
So true! So true! :) I've had similar things to say to my DH & kids!
Old 10-14-2011, 09:35 AM

Of course you are.....we all are. It's incurable so enjoy it. :lol:
Old 10-14-2011, 09:50 AM

You are and it's wonderful to be one!!!
Old 10-14-2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles
actually you are an artist and fabric is your medium ...... that's my story , and i'm sticking to it !!!!

(making grand exit, trailing threads and snippits)
ROFL... I realized the other day when I went out to the store, I was covered in threads from ripping apart some clothes for cutting up.

god I was soooo covered!! dang threads get everywhere
Old 10-14-2011, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by mimee4
I'm so glad you are part of this board. Allows me to admit that I'm a fabriholic, too.
aww shucks, we are in very good company :)
Old 10-14-2011, 12:36 PM

I call it a fabricolic. YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!!!! I CALL FABRIC MY LIQUOR!!!
Old 10-14-2011, 01:32 PM

When I went to visit my 6 yr old DGD in California last Spring, she accompanied me to a wonderful quilt shop. I loved her reaction to the fabrics.....she went all through the store feeling and touching every fabric in there and wanting me to buy it all! She asked me if I would teach her how to sew and make quilts when she comes to visit me. I would love to have her closer, she certainly is my kind of kid!
Old 10-14-2011, 02:44 PM

I remember hearing the talk about the movie Moulin Rouge when it came out and it being described as eye-candy! I had never heard the term before. When I finally saw it, I understood what they meant! When I walk into a fabric store the same eye-candy thing happens to me!

I often wonder why people gamble and play the slots. There is something I recognize happening to them as they see the lights flashing and hear the bells ringing. To me it is pointless. But a similar thing happens for me when I go fabric shopping! I would much rather spend my money on fabric and notions than spend it watching lights flash and bells ring, then walk away with nothing. When I get home, I've probably spent much less than they lost and I have the new additions to my stash to show for it. Plus, I can re-live that eye-candy event anytime I go wandering through it!
Old 10-14-2011, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo
OMGoodness thank God there is no cure for it. If they ever develop a 12 step program for this DON"T tell me. I love my addiction.... ;-)
Seriously, I came across a site a little more than a month ago that shocked me. It was a quilting group, not unlike this board, but they vowed to not shop for fabric. Their goal was to only use fabrics from their stash and never shop for fabric again. I didn't stay long on the site because it was almost "against my religion". LOL LOL But I wondered, (and really should have checked it out at the time because I did not keep their web address) if these women had a serious shopping problem. I have several bins of dressmakers' fabric which probably won't work well with quilting, and I have a small stash of quilt fabrics, not enough to keep me happy. But I never heard tell of this being a serious problem in anyone's life. This site seemed to be geared toward women who were out of control with their quilting. I don't see myself that way, even with my dressmakers' fabric, and my yarn for crochet, and all my crafting paraphernalia. I am wondering if any others on this board see it as a real problem in their lives?
Old 10-14-2011, 03:07 PM

It can't be helped and I have proof!
Adapted from a quilter's newsletter in North Carolina-author unknown--
A recent study has indicated that material gives off certain pheromones tht hypnotize wemen and cause them to purchase ungodly amounts of fabric. When stored in large quantitiesin enclosed spaces, the pheromones in the fabric cause memory loss and induce the gathering syndrome, sinilar to the one squirrels have before the onset of winter.
Sound tests have also revealed that these fabrics emit a very high-pitched sound heard only by a select few, known as quilters. When played backward, the sounds are heard as chants...'Buy me! Buy me!" Furthermore, pheromones seem to cause a pathological need to secret the fabric purchases away when one takes them home and blend them with the existing stash. When asked by a significant other if the fabric in new, the reply is, "oh, I've had it for awhile!"
In order to overcome the so-called feeding frenzy effect that these fabrics cause, one must wear a facemask when entering a storage facility, and use ear plugs to avoid being pulled into their grip. It is also beneficial to enter these storage facilities without the presence of cash or credit cards.
Sad to say, the addictive qualities of this compulsive behavior are cumelative, and are ameliorated only by the purchase of more and more fabric.