Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I looking for the unfindable? >

Am I looking for the unfindable?

Am I looking for the unfindable?

Old 02-20-2010, 06:38 AM

I made my first queen size quilt 27 years ago from bargain fabric. I am still using it today although it is pretty raggy around the edges, but hard to give up because i learned when my daughter was born and it has memories. It was what I lovingly call a quilt from hell though because one of the fabric choices shrunk every time the iron hit it even though I always launder first. Anyway, my opinion is that there is nothing wrong with bargain fabric but make sure they are worthy of your effort because it is a lot of work. I still buy bargain fabrics, but also $10+/yard and there is definitely a difference and the more expensive fabric are definitely worth it if you want something special.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:49 AM

I usually pay 8.99-10.99 a yard, but have gotten some great deals on web sites like fabric.com as well as many other sites that sell good fabric for a good price. If you are on a budget try looking on line. I use to buy walmart and joanns, but have had too many problems. I still buy notions from them, but usually buy my fabric elsewhere.

Although if your budget it so you cannot afford to buy the higher end fabric, still enjoy quilting just knowing that it may or may not hold up for as long.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:53 AM

I buy most of mine from www.whittlesfabrics.com. I can find lots of good quality fabric there on sale for sometimes under 4.00 a yard.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:01 AM

Since you are new to quilting using cheap fabrics is fine.
My early attempts were not that good and I am still not to a good quilter level but I am getting close.
I am now ready to use expensive fabrics and not feel like I wasted them.
You can buy good fabrics on line at sale prices. I buy alot from http://quiltinaday.com in the fabric frensy area. 3 dollars a yard for good quality.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:12 AM
CRH

Just remember that it is not really NECESSARY to have a large stash, especially at first. The only necessity is to gather the right fabrics for each quilt, eventually the stash will grow by itself!!!

(OK, I know I'll get a lot of static on that statement!!)
:-D :-D :-D :-D
Old 02-20-2010, 07:23 AM

I love good fabric and can't afford to buy at regular price so I always go to the quilt shops and go to the sale fabric. I also buy a lot of fabric online at hancock of paduach, thousand of bolts and any website that has sales. I hardly ever buy at wal mart. I learned a lot from books and I joined my local quilt guild. They are there to help all us beginners.
jazs2
Old 02-20-2010, 09:45 AM

My LQS has a "back room" where there are lots of bolts of fabric at reduced prices. It's last year's lines, etc., but still beautiful. It runs 4.99 or 5.99 per yard. She also has bins of "end of the line", the last of a fabric which are a bargain also. I still cringe at the thought of paying $10 per yard -- just can't justify that yet.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
Oh, and my first instructor said that if you can't afford $8/yard, wait for quilt shops to have sales (fabric.com - love them) and get good fabric cheaper, rather than cheap fabric
I had that very same advice from an instructor. At that time I thought it was because she was working at the LQS. Well, I went ahead a bought the material there for my 1st quilt. This was/is great advice! I nearly always wait for a sale.But, sometimes I just jump in a get special must have fabric or kit.
you never know when you will make the perfect quilt for someone and remember that is is out of not so good fabric.. what a waste!
Old 02-20-2010, 10:13 AM

I buy cheap as I can when I can! Especially remnants and sales. However, when I am looking for a particular color/pattern I will pay more, depends How much I like it and how bad I need it. I also will pay more for anything that catches my eye that I find very unique and that I know I probably won't see it anywhere else for a while. So It's all up to you. I have fabrics from friends, garage sales, old sheets, clothes, and fabric stores. I do love Walmart! I always stock up on fabric at the first of the month. Even If I don't plan on using it right away. I make a stock pile and arrange them by colors. And fthen whenever the kids visit, I'm ready to create a blanket in a matter of hours. Keep buying!
Old 02-20-2010, 10:51 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

What I discovered long ago, when my seams were not as accurate as they later became (with practice), was that some of the more expensive brands were more forgiving of my sewing inaccuracies. Meaning that, if the patchwork wasn't perfect, when I took it over to the ironing board to press the blocks flat, with a little steam, with the better fabrics the pieces all melded together better. And the brands that I discovered that I liked for this reason - and still do - are Timeless Treasures and Michael Miller.