Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one that goes to thrift stores looking for shirts to use as fabric? >

Am I the only one that goes to thrift stores looking for shirts to use as fabric?

Am I the only one that goes to thrift stores looking for shirts to use as fabric?

Old 10-14-2010, 02:39 PM

No my quilting sister, you are not alone! I LOVE to hit all the thrift stores on the days everything is half off, and go straight to the big man's section to grab up all the flannel, wool, and denim I can afford! Alot of times, they have fabric bagged up, or on hangers with the sheets & blankets! I cant see paying $10-$14 per yard for fabric, I simply refuse!
Old 10-14-2010, 02:45 PM

oh how funny!! It is amazing how everything I look at now ~ I think... what could I do with that fabric.

Originally Posted by BKrenning
I have a cotton hand-dyed ladies blouse that I bought from our Goodwill. I always go through hubby's shirts before we donate them & take out ones that I think will make good quilts--even the poly/cotton blends. We recently had dinner with another couple & I spent a large part of the evening staring at the other woman's batik shirt & dreaming up quilts to use it in.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:45 PM

scrubs are the best!!

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
Don't forget to look at uniforms - they come in great novelty prits - cats, dogs, fish, nurse/doctor theme, flowers etc, and they're made of good sturdy cotton.
-----------------------
Yes, scrubs come in some really mouthwatering colors. I found lots of them in yard sales, and am making more than one lap robe for kids with ice cream cones on them. With all the luscious colors, I make three scoop cones that make me want ice cream, and has added a few pounds on my rump that was not needed.[/quote]
Old 10-14-2010, 02:56 PM

I look for cotton shirts, too. But, I rarely find good deals on them at the local thrift stores. I have better luck at garage/yard sales. This past summer I got 20 shirts for a quarter each. None of them look they've been worn at all.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:58 PM

I did this with denim, and made several quilts and lap robes that way.
I look for the larger size jeans, more fabric of course.
Only thing is the jeans quilts are heavy.
Nice for camping trips tho. Grands love them.
Joyce
Old 10-16-2010, 03:21 AM

I love buying shirts and fabric at yard sales and thrift stores. Our local Goodwill has a policy that on Sunday one tag color is $1 an item. I have been collecting plaid shirts for a quilt. There is usually at least 1 and sometimes closer to 2 yards in every shirt.

If you're buying fabric at the thrift store that isn't marked, pull a couple of threads and burn them with a cigarette lighter - pure cotton, silk and wool will all burn to ash, while anything with polyester will burn to a small hard ball. DON'T pull more than a couple of inches of thread. That's all that's needed and you really don't want to set the store (or your fingers) on fire.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:10 AM
Power Poster

that is also my favorite source for wools and silks. you get a yard or more of great ($60 a yard) wools for next to nothing when you buy a 100% wool mens suit coat! and silk ties...inexpensive and there is like a 1/4 yard of fabric or more in a tie. i have no problem cutting up clothing to use for quilting!
Old 10-16-2010, 04:48 AM

I look at other things too, but you are not alone, thriftin is my thing! Well anymore it is....
Old 10-16-2010, 05:06 AM

I'm so thrilled to see that other people enjoy thrifting for fabric and recycling it from shirts and other items.

As they say... recycle to reuse in order to reduce the landfills!
Old 10-16-2010, 05:20 AM

Oh yes, the Goodwill is my friend.