Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one? >

Am I the only one?

Am I the only one?

Old 07-12-2010, 04:55 PM

I think there are a lot of people here who are smarter th an I am! I follow directions precisely for quilts. Not for art quilts, of course. Maybe that's why I like doing the art quilts. Maybe I should be a little more daring with quilts!
Old 07-12-2010, 06:10 PM

I usually work without a pattern, but not always. If I can figure out the construction from a picture, I can also figure out the sizes of the pieces I need, fabric requirements, etc. I use a pattern when there is a quilt I really want to make, but need help figuring out how it's done.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:00 PM

I have looked at quilt patterns and then I end up making up my own. I don't want to have to figure out how much of this or that material for a pattern.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:28 PM

Thank you for making me feel not so alone! I see all these wonderful and intricate quilts on here, and it just boggles my mind. You have given me some really cool ideas for my next two quilts, without needing to find a "pattern" to follow. Now I have to hurry up and get this one done so I can start my next two!! ;)
Old 07-12-2010, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieF
I'm with you....I've stopped buying books and patterns because I don't end up following them. I now work out patterns on graph paper that I figure out from a picture. I can't even tell anyone how much fabric I use for a quilt because most of mine are scrappy so yardage isn't an issue.
this is what I do also. and mostly scrap quilts
Old 07-12-2010, 07:32 PM

I cant follow a pattern! my brain shuts off!!! on the other hand... give me paper and pen.... and creativity blossoms :)

it must be how different brains work
Old 07-12-2010, 08:58 PM

I do both also. I get overwhelmed by little pieces. No matter the shape. So I know the Farmers Wifes Sampler is really going to be a challenge for me.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Power Poster

Yea I think it depends on the intricity of the pattern some you can design on your own and some you need a pattern.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by soccertxi
I have found books and magazines that have instructions that 'fit my brain". Usually the instructions are clear and concise. The ones that are 'wordy'...they make my brain turn off! I swear sometimes I cannot SEE them! My favorite designers are Terri Atkinson and Judy Martin. My favorite quilt magazine is Quiltmaker. I think sometimes they have their instructions or cutting requirements in a table. Less words works for me!
I also love QM magazine for their clear and concise instructions. I have made well over a dozen of their patterns. I also like the fact that many times they show the quilt in an alternate color sceme. I also like McCalls quilting.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:08 AM

I usually start with a pattern but if I don't understand a section, I figure a way to work around it. A lot of times, though, I just use the picture of a quilt as a guideline.

Having fibro, my brain doesn't analyze things as well anymore so following directions can be a bit challenging at times.

Basically, do you OWN thing and no one would ever know. :-D