Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one who makes quilts using a pattern?

Blog Entries
    if you were the only one who made quilts from patterns all those books, magazines, and patterns would be obsolete! no one would be buying them- they would be out of business-since i doubt you buy enough of them to keep them all in business.
    it's not something to stress over- if you use a pattern & give it your own (spin) use your own fabric choices- not just the exact fabrics the pattern designer used- and at times change something- a different border, anything (tweeked) you are designing/ creating your own quilt-
    i make alot of my own quilts- without pattern- without graph paper- without eq anything-
    i start with an idea- or an armload of scraps & just start- sometimes i will make a couple blocks i like- then decide==i'm going to turn these into a quilt & work from there- everyone has their own (techniques)
    you said you've been quilting for a long time- perhaps it's time to step outside your box & learn a couple new techniques---find a couple classes to take to learn something new- start browsing books, magazines looking at scrappy quilts- or row quilts- or round robin quilts- those can give you ideas on how to create something all yours-
    but don't 'sweat' using patterns- without people who do think about all the people who would be out of work.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

As you can see from the comments, everyone has their own comfort zone. Do what makes you happy and produces quilts that you enjoy.

My own personal method involves Googling the word "quilts" under the Images tab, getting ideas for patterns and color combinations, and then winging my own.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

If I were to wait around for me to design and make a quilt I wouldn't have anything done! I love making "magazine quilts" as my snobby, design their own quilts,friends call them. I get more done that way. Love the old blocks and scrappies!!!

Always use a pattern, blocks or quilts. There are so many I want to make already so why design my own.

Jeanne, the operative word in your question is "should". I think there are no shoulds in quilting, except that you should enjoy yourself! I have done both, but generally I like to throw in my own creativity by changing patterns at least a little. I do the same thing with recipes and many other things in life. Rare occasions, like the D9P I'm currently trying for a swap, I try to follow exact directions, and keep messing it up. They came out 12.5" before cutting, so now I'm stuck with just using the 9 patches, or starting all over. Everyone has their own strengths and challenges, so just enjoy!

Blog Entries
    A friend created a wonderful quilt from the middle out. She did it in phases. She started the quilt with only the idea of what she wanted in the middle. When that was done, she then designed what she would be the next phase. I loved the way her quilt looked after she was done.

I wanted to add that I like to make quilts both ways. I love to use traditional patterns. My neighbor (quilting buddy) and I are making a couple of quilts from the blocks in the Farmer's Wife book. It gives us a chance to try blocks that we have never made before. I don't enjoy working with small blocks so we decided to enlarge our blocks and not put all of the blocks in the quilts.

I'm making a quilt for my husband with a buffalo panel in it. My husband and I will design it as we go along.

I'm making a quilt for my 7 year old niece that is a combination of a traditional pattern but with changes that she wanted made. I had to draw out the blocks so that I could see the best way to combine the material and not waste too much fabric.

I made myself a quilt from a design similar to the "Turning Twenty" system. I love the way it came out.

I made a traditional quilt of stars for my daughter. I made an Irish Chain quilt for my son.

My neighbor and I each made the Underground Railroad for fun.

There are times that I will be making something from a traditional pattern and I find that I don't like something about it so I make changes.

I think quilting is about enjoying what you are doing and making the quilt your own way.
    Last edited by kapatt; 05-04-2012 at 07:51 AM.
    Kathyj

Kpross, the quilt for your brother is asolutely gorgeous. You did a great design. I too like using patterns. Teresa

I'm a dedicated pattern follower. The only 'breakout' design I do is to change the size. Try an attic windows to get a lot of practice making a Y seam.

I use patterns all of the time. Sometimes I change thing and sometime I don't.. I usually pick my own fabrics . I do design every once in a while, but not much. My creativity doesnt go that way.
    Vicki Mc in SC
    www.jacksonpatchquilt.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by kpross View Post
    With only one exception, I have always used a pattern. There is nothing wrong with that. The one exception was a quilt for my brother. He wanted a king size and picked a fabric collection but gave no other direction. Since it was nautical I knew I wanted the center to be a star (compass-like) medallion (I wasn't quite up to a compass yet), and since there were novelty fabrics in the collection, I knew I wanted to highlight them. So I just went for it. I started with the star and built on from there, working around the center. I used graph paper to some extent to plan the outer borders to reach a certain desired size. Since he is a boat and flag lover, I also knew I wanted to incorporate nautical signal flags so I designed them to spell out "Dan Loves Bev" along the outer border. (pics attached - please try to ignore the carpet it is lying on! You can see that I used some blocks, like the center star and the sailboats in the corners, that I found in books, but otherwise, it was just improvised.) It was fun, but all my quilts since have been from patterns. I just don't always have the spark of creativity until I see what I want in a pattern. So, if you are anxious to try something on your own, just do it by picking something you love and are passionate about and dive in. You don't have to use equilter or anything else. Otherwise, there is no reason to change what you are doing.
    If this is your first, last, and only, that is extremely pretty. I can imagine he was impressed, humbled and loved to received such a beautiful expression of your affection. Wow.

I use some patterns and some of my on variations on them. I am not a great quilter so I do the simple and easy ones. I enjoy it so much and all the ones I have made and given away seemed to be greatly received. That's the beauty of it for me, to see someone happy for the thought.
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

How wonderful, I have a BIL in Seattle that would love your quilt...Great design thank you for sharing

Judy in Phx, AZ

I work full time, so I always use a pattern too. Some day I will be able to experiment with making my own pattern. So just do what is comfortable for you and be happy.

I have only been quilting for two years and have always used a pattern. I do often make my quilt larger than the pattern; but have never designed a quilt. So far, I am very comfortable using a pattern.

Blog Entries
    I have been using patterns since I started. There are such beautiful and amazing quilt patterns available. I also love to follow block patterns. Usually using whatever fabrics I have available for all of my quilts and blocks. I recently stepped out of my comfort zone and began learning free motion machine embroidery and free motion quilting. Wow is it ever fun...but even for that I find patterns from comic book pages and online freebies.

I just want to add that I have enjoyed reading each and every response. Just make sure you are enjoying what ever you do in quilting. That is what makes it so special and wonderful!
    Brenda

I usually START with a pattern, then I get bored and take a few left and right turns and wind up with something that may not look like the pattern I started with. Some small projects I actually complete using a pattern, others, well they are different. I will look at some of these amazing quilts I see here and try them, but mine are never the same because I deviate from the pattern. I usually draft my patterns (either with EQ7 or graph papeer) and I can't always follow those. I am doomed to do things on the fly.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by teddysmom View Post
    I only use patterns--not smart enough to design my own. I really like the patterns from the 30's and 40's.
    Now TEDDYSMOM!! I would say the same thing, ONLY THE OTHER WAY AROUND. I can NOT use a pattern for love or money. Quilting, pants, dresses, etc...... The only thing I can use a pattern for is spending my money on. I never open them - I only use the picture on the front. When I learned to sew, it was from watching and the person I watched didn't know how to use a pattern. So what I learned was to look something over and use a brown paper bag and sort of make a guide to look at. So you see it works both ways.

Blog Entries
    You can always combine piecing and applique in unique ways. That is designing too!
    Debbie
    Machine It

I alo use patterns be it a wole quilt or just blocks. Right now I,m working on a sampler quilt of pioneer blocks.

I start with a pattern but by the time I've cut and unsewn, I usually end up with something else, but hey I'm learning! I see lots of quilting designs in stuff, I've been know to draft the wall tiles in a rest area bath room! I just won't tell where the design comes from when I give it as a gift.

I love the traditional patterns don"t stress the quilt police are on vacation

Blog Entries
    Personally I like knowing how something is going to turn out before I start. Fabric is way too expensive for me to experiment with and there are a gozillion wonderful and exciting quilt patterns out there that people have put a lot of time and effort into figuring out so that I don't have to.

I use patterns, I am too new at this to take off on my own and design something. Someday maybe...
    Amythyst

Blog Entries
    I use patterns 99 percent of the time so yoou are not alone.

Just do what you like to do!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast