Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Am I the only one who makes quilts using a pattern?

I do both. There are a lot of very talented pattern designers out there and many patterns that I love. Occasionally I will "think" up my own patterns, but I'd say 99% of the time I use patterns.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Blog Entries
    We all have our area of expertise. Doesn't mean some are better than others just different. I have so many quilt books & magazines from when I first started quilting around 9 years ago but haven't made too many quilts from those. I have made quilts from my own designs and just recently have bought a couple of patterns as well as two books on specific types of quilts I wish to make.
    I still use the good old graph paper but sometimes a pattern is no more than an idea doodled on a scrap of paper. I consider myself lucky that I have never had a problem with maths but don't consider myself any better than any other quilter. Even beginners have the potential to design or make fabulous quilts.
    I'm more grateful to my Mother and a neighbour who taught me how to sew & draft patterns at a very young age.

Blog Entries
    I make quilts and am proud of it! Some times I do change a pattern around or add a special border. It might be a design change but far from designing! Enjoy every stitch in every quilt you make.

Why not post some of your quilts to share!
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Just do what makes you happy. If you want to design your own quilt, try 9 patch or 4 patch. Use charm squares or just use 2 or 3 fabrics. Quilting is a stress reliever--don't stress over it. Keep doing what you like to do.

Smile patterns

I still use them. I make strip and scrap quilts with no pattern, but most others , I do use a pattern.
    I would rather use a pattern some one else has gone to all the trouble of designing.
    Thread hugs.
    Linda C

I use books, magazines, online... I have EQ in about 5 iterations and just cannot figure it out. I am always happy with what I end up with. And I am never hard on myself. I don't have that 'creative' gene that makes me really want to design anything.

Anita in Northfield, MN

Blog Entries
    I could never make a quilt without a pattern. There are too many good designers out there for me to even try to make a pattern, besides someone had to buy their patterns, right?

I only use patterns as well. I collect them like fabric. If I find a pattern that appeals to me I know I'll generally be satisfied with the outcome. I feel very competent at deciphering the directions, so no problem there. I also think patterns also help me expand my skills-I like challenging patterns, so I just jump right in and do them. If I tried to design my own I don't think I'd even know where to begin.

I always use a pattern at least to start with. I may stray away from it particularly if I make the same pattern a second time. I think that as time passes, I find I know and understand the mathematics of quilt patterns and have a better sense of what pleases me. I find myself with graph paper and pencil more and more often. The result is I stray from the pattern a little more easily than in the past. I have made just a couple of quilts without a full pattern but even those started with a single block pattern that I enlarged or adjusted to fit what I wanted in the end. For me, that is part of the fun and creativity of quilting. Some quilters show their creativity in other ways and excel in color choice, others in perfect points while others design their own patterns. Cheers to all of you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Well I'm just the opposite and I admire people who can use a pattern and have it come out looking just like it was supposed to. I tend to start with a block I like and wing it from there. Why? Because I have a hard time following written instructions and my piecing is never exact enough to have everything fit perfectly.
    me too )
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fresno-CA/Gingerbread-Creations-Boutique/198849646808507

Blog Entries
    I use patterns. Every quilt is made from a new pattern, I hate doing anything twice.

I only use patterns. It's so much easier and, besides, there are so many wonderful patterns out there in magazines and on-line. I don't think I could come up with ideas as beautiful as some of the patterns I have used.

I have never designed my own quilt. I follow patterns but I do change them to suit me. I just made a quilt for my granddaughter and when we were laying the blocks out, my DH and I did not like the wide sashing. He and I agreed it was just too much. So we made it narrower and added a red cornerstone. It turned out beautiful. I tend to do that quite a bit, just tweak something that didn't turn out right. But I always start with a pattern. You are not alone.

Blog Entries
    I use patterns too but mostly blocks that I like and then figure how many I need to make what ever size I want to do.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4