Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Am I the Only Quilter Who Thinks Stippling is Hard? >
  • Am I the Only Quilter Who Thinks Stippling is Hard?

• Am I the Only Quilter Who Thinks Stippling is Hard?

Old 10-14-2010, 04:11 AM

You are right. It isn't easy, but keep practicing; I can't do it and am in awe of those who can
    Old 10-14-2010, 04:12 AM

I also have a Bernina with BSR which I bought last year and I was convinced it would turn me into the perfect FMQ! It hasn't worked out that way and I still have problems with stippling (agree it is over-rated!). I found that I could do loop-de-loops much easier! However don't forget that the Bernina (mine is a 440 QE) has two different modes for FMQ and I found that Mode 2 works much better for me - just push the pedal to the floor and absolutely nothing happens until you move the fabric - I have much better control with this and hope it works for you.
    Old 10-14-2010, 04:38 AM

I had trouble in the beginning too, have you tried doodling it on paper first. I find that if I practice on paper it is lots easier to quilt. Also think about puzzle pieces.
    Old 10-14-2010, 04:41 AM

Instead of stippling in curves and circles, try straight lines. Mark them on your project with a chalk pencil and follow them, it is alot easier than trying to be creative. I prefer the walking foot for quilting but am going to try stippling using the stop/start button on my machine.

Carol J.
    Old 10-14-2010, 04:49 AM

The walking foot for regular machine quilting is perfect but when you drop the feed dogs, it's a whole different ballgame!! The start/stop button was what was giving me trouble until I discovered Mode 2 as mentioned in my last message. Duckydo, you are right about doodling on paper first or even tracing a design with your finger - it sets it in your brain. I also practiced a lot in the beginning by free-motion stitching the alphabet and since our brain is already hard-wired to do that from grade school, it really is quite easy!
    Old 10-14-2010, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by MomtoBostonTerriers
    I am a new quilter and am trying to teach myself to stipple. I have a Bernina BSR, so that should make the task easy. I find it very hard to make the stitches uniform in length, but even harder is how to "create" the stipple pattern. I've read tons of books that contain lots of good advice. I just finished practicing on 14 quilt sandwiches (about 22 x 22 inches each) that will eventually become Christmas stockings, and my stippling has improved about 1 percent.

I am such a linear thinker with not a creative bone in my body and I'm wondering if I will ever catch on to this seemingly simple aspect of quilting.

Any advice? Is there such a thing as a personal stippling coach?
    Sit down with pencil and paper and draw for a while. Just doodle stippling lines - and you DON"T have to worry about crossing them - it's OK! Your brain will get more familiar with the motion and your quilting will be more relaxed and easier to do. Oh yes, and have a beer first! :)
    Old 10-14-2010, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
    I have a Bernina with BSR like you do. Stippling and all FMQ is SOOOOO much easier and better when you use a Supreme slider http://www.freemotionslider.com/ and gloves. And make sure your machine is inside a table to make a flat surface. With these two tools, I can do anything! Here's a picture of my latest which has a lot of FMQ stippling. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-69826-1.htm
    Candace gave the best advice!! I tried free motion & stippling at various times for years, always awful & hated it. But several yrs ago I saw the Supreme slider demoed, tired it & just like that my brain caught on!! I wore out 2 sliders having so much fun with stippling & then realized I didn't need it anymore. Now I stipple almost all my quilts (I do a lot of charity quilts), put on an audio book & stipple away, I love it & it is fast & fun. Now I can even fm feathers, hearts, circles & loops.
    Old 10-14-2010, 05:40 AM

Try humming to a favorite tune. That seems to help me.
    Old 10-14-2010, 05:46 AM

I just finished stippling my first quilt. I had a death grip on the quilt and my shoulders and neck hurt for two days. I kept saying maybe this would work better if I waxed the sewing machine bed. Then I saw the suggestion to use Silicone Spray on the bed. I think that will help a lot with the drag and pull you feel. Also pull the quilt UP onto your lap so you won't feel the weight that causes those "bird beaks" I'm so famous for.
    Old 10-14-2010, 06:06 AM

I also have a Bernina with a BSR but I find I can do alright without attaching it. I just try to keep the same speed and look ahead of where I am stitching. My friend with a long arm says to take pencil or dry eraser and board and just doodle when you are sitting watching tv it helps.