Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I in over my head >

Am I in over my head

Am I in over my head

Old 09-12-2013, 04:41 AM

Default Am I in over my head

It seemed so simple when someone asked me if I'd make a nap mat for their little one. She wants it 28x54 and we decided on flannels with batting. so, I'm thinking about how to do this, and thought I would just right sides together, sew around 3 3/4 sides, turn and voila. I can do that, easy peasy. But then I was thinking I'd need to stitch the top of the whole thing to hold the pieces together. ... now it's starting to sound like a quilt and I don't want to make a quilt.

So, here's my question. If I make it like I said above, and after it's closed, just make some simple lines of stitches from one side to the other, I'm afraid I'm going to have puckers.

How do I do this without puckers? did anyone follow that?
Old 09-12-2013, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

If you use batting, you are making a quilt. You can birth it as you described, but you are going to have to pin baste it before you stitch or everything is going to shift. The other thing to consider is your batting. Read the package. It will tell you how far apart the minimum quilting lines have to be. If you don't follow the instructions on the package, the batting may disintegrate. Might want to consider flannel top, fleece back, no batting. Those tied fleece throws are not quilted and seem to hang together OK.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

Is is fairly difficult to machine quilt lines in a birthed quilt. You need to smooth the layers as evenly as possible and watch that the layers don't travel. I would probably tie it or do spaced quilting motifs instead. Some people don't like to put "ties" on a baby quilt for a choking hazard so tie tacks by machine would work instead.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:15 AM

Thank you Princess. I'll give her the option of me making her a small quilt. Now how much to charge her.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

I made a nap mat for my grand. I made a big pillow case using Minkee on one side, flannel on back, to cover the plastic one she had. Added velcro to close. Over and done with. LOL. All the kids in her pre school wanted to touch it.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:26 AM

Isn't Minkee the best? soooo soft. hmmm. I'll ask her if she has a mat she can slide inside. A pillow case might be a good idea.