Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In Over My Head >

In Over My Head

In Over My Head

Old 01-11-2010, 04:21 AM

Someone my daughter works with has asked me to make a quilt using bridesmaid dresses and the wedding gown, which, I might add, is SATIN!
I know that this is way out of my league and I wouldn't think of touching satin at this point. They said they have tried to find local quilters to make the quilt, but have had no luck. I don't know what to tell them. I live in NE Ohio and we really don't have any quilt shops around my neck of the woods, that I know of. They also want a price quote. Again, I wouldn't have a clue what to tell them.
Would appreciate any help in finding them resources for quilters in this area.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:47 AM

My Mother made my niece a crazy quilt from her many bridemaid's dresses. She used a foundation and hand embroidered over the seams. The squares she then sewed together on the machine. She put a velvet back on and tied with silk embroidery thread. It was lovely, not practical but a lovely momento all the same. I would think someone should quote a price per hour and keep a record of time spent. Embroidery could be done on a machine.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:05 AM
JJs
Banned

There's probably a reason why "they have tried to find local quilters to make the quilt, but have had no luck"

I've been quilting for almost 40 years and believe you me, I would NOT attempt to please somebody cutting up their wedding dress...

Tell them to find a local quilt guild.....
Old 01-11-2010, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

Have the person do a search for online quilt blogs in their area. Lots of quilters have a business through the blogs. I would not recommend a name of anyone because it will always be your name mentioned if the person is not pleased. And remember this is their situation not yours so don't feel obligated to do anything.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
And remember this is their situation not yours so don't feel obligated to do anything.

Very wise advice! Sometimes we try to hard to please people.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

I have been quilting over 44 years and would not make a satin quilt, especially with a wedding and bridesmaid dresses. Satin would not hold up to any use, I would think the seams would ravel out. :| :| :|
Old 01-11-2010, 06:15 AM

I am a former bridal seamstress. I would NOT make a quilt form satin. It would not wear well and I would not want my name on the work when it all comes apart. Tell them to preserve the dress but don't cut it up. They may be dissapointed with the results.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:17 AM

Have the person do a search for online quilt blogs in their area. Lots of quilters have a business through the blogs. I would not recommend a name of anyone because it will always be your name mentioned if the person is not pleased. And remember this is their situation not yours so don't feel obligated to do anything.
I agree. Do not get roped into this one. If it doesn't turn out well, or it becomes a nightmare, friendships could be lost or at the least hard feelings, hurt feelings. Try to make recommendations but do not become personally involved.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by QBeth
And remember this is their situation not yours so don't feel obligated to do anything.

Very wise advice! Sometimes we try to hard to please people.
Really good advice. I would never atemp to do this.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by vicki reno
I agree. Do not get roped into this one. If it doesn't turn out well, or it becomes a nightmare, friendships could be lost or at the least hard feelings, hurt feelings. Try to make recommendations but do not become personally involved.
My feelings exactly. Thank you all for your input. I find it hard to tell people "no" sometimes, but I know this is beyond my realm. And since experienced seamstresses and quilters wouldn't touch this project, I feel all the more confident in my decision not to attempt it. Thanks again.