Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In Over My Head >

In Over My Head

In Over My Head

Old 01-11-2010, 07:32 AM

I have been dying to put my hands on a satin wedding dress to make a quilt. I tried on Craigslist but people try to sell them way too expensive. I plan in my head to make large squares and quilt them whole cloth style after joining them together alternating white with the bridesmaid color. It would not be a quilt to be used but displayed. I am not sure I would want to make it for someone else because is very difficult to please people, and you can not predict the reaction when they see their gown cut up.

Feel free to say no if you don't feel comfortable.

I like to make quilts and selling them. This way I do my thing and people either like it or not. I don't like to make a quilt and hope they like it. The few times I had made a quilt on commission I make them buy the fabrics, select the pattern and if possible, select the placement of the colors within the quilt.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:41 AM

I find lots of used bridal gowns in thrift stores when I am aout looking for wool to felt and quilting books. You may find one there.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:51 AM

I have the same dilemma. I have been asked to make a memory quilt for my BIL out of my sisters wedding dress and the bridesmaids dresses. It was suggested that I use tricot as a stabilizer. Very light weight and keeps it from fraying. Hope this helps a little.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lisa773
Originally Posted by vicki reno
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Have the person do a search for online quilt blogs in their area. Lots of quilters have a business through the blogs. I would not recommend a name of anyone because it will always be your name mentioned if the person is not pleased. And remember this is their situation not yours so don't feel obligated to do anything.
I agree. Do not get roped into this one. If it doesn't turn out well, or it becomes a nightmare, friendships could be lost or at the least hard feelings, hurt feelings. Try to make recommendations but do not become personally involved.
My feelings exactly. Thank you all for your input. I find it hard to tell people "no" sometimes, but I know this is beyond my realm. And since experienced seamstresses and quilters wouldn't touch this project, I feel all the more confident in my decision not to attempt it. Thanks again.
I think that you are making a very wise choice...this has the potential to have a very awful ending :wink:
It is hard to say "No" at times...but I am sure that if you explain that it is out of your comfort area they will understand :D:D:D
Old 01-11-2010, 10:09 AM

Satin is a huge pain to work with. It frays, it's slippery as all get out. If you put pins it it gets holes. If the needle goes thru the fabric wrong it can pull threads across the whole piece you're working on.

I've worked with satin some and I'd just laugh and tell them "good luck with that" and go on my merry way because I know if I attempted it my way wouldn't be at all merry anymore!! LOL