Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I stealing? Or just borrowing? >

Am I stealing? Or just borrowing?

Am I stealing? Or just borrowing?

Old 05-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Power Poster

I can look at a picture of a quilt and draft the pattern in EQ. I won't have the instructions and may not use the same piecing method as the original. That's why no pictures are allowed at vendor booths of the quilts, many quilters use EQ and can draft the patterns from any picture. I still buy patterns and books but only the ones that I know I need the techniques offered to make it easier.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sspingler
Well, I for one am taking all my pics off this board and will no longer be a part of this forum if so many people think it's ok to steal!!

Good by
.....I bet she loved being hall monitor too! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Old 05-01-2010, 07:25 PM

Lots of answers!! :) One time I wanted to make a quilt using a famous author/artists (if I wrote her name - you'd all know her, I'm sure) art work. It was ONLY for two quilts I was making to be used in MY house... she most graciously agreed that I could use ANY of her drawings ANY time to use in MY house!! I've yet to do it, but I still have the email from her stating that I have her permission - do I use other patterns without permission - yes, the ones that are 'out there' but I have never, and never intend, to sell someone else's pattern as mine.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:32 AM

I remember this thread very well...I think Shelley and I had our hands well and truly slapped! lol!
But seriously, the 'holier than thou' attitude of a couple of members, put a few ladies off writing anything on this forum for fear of being criticised.
I did the little wall hanging and to this day I love it ...but no-one but me and my family will ever see it. It hangs on the wall in my sewing room.
It was ironic that the theme of the original print was all about Sisterhood! lol!

Karen xx
Old 05-02-2010, 03:05 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Originally Posted by sspingler
Well, I for one am taking all my pics off this board and will no longer be a part of this forum if so many people think it's ok to steal!!

Good by
.....I bet she loved being hall monitor too! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
i'm disappointed by this. if a person invests time, effort and money in designing and making a quilt she/he believes is orginal then we should not feel free to copy it without his/her permission.

if we can prove it isn't original, the kind and sensitive thing to do would be to send her a pm to explain how and why we can prove it. not to chastise her. but to prevent her being publicly embarrassed because of an innocent mistake.

we should not make fun of anybody who chooses to no longer share her/his work with us because too many others have made it clear they will do as they please and not consider what may be right, wrong, ethical, or fair. that's like criticizing a gunshot victim for standing in the way of the bullet. :hunf:

this is a public board. so we share our work with other within the framework of the Honor System.

emphasis on the word Honor.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:53 AM

I don't sell my quilts so I never thought about maybe I was stealing someones work until I started participating on this site. I grew up combining patterns for garment making. Switching sleeves, skirts, collars, etc. It saved a lot of money in the days I needed to save. Now, it just comes natural for me to look at something and figure out a way to make it my own way. I hope I'm not stealing food from someones mouth, but with the price of patterns and fabric I like to make my money go as far as it will go.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:15 AM
Administrator

i might be wrong, but i don't think what you described falls into the category of things we're talking about.

most clothing designers today wouldn't know an original thought or idea if it walked up and hit them with a sledgehammer. :lol:
Old 05-02-2010, 04:45 AM

I think most designs, be it clothing or quilts, are basically a new slant on an old design!

Karen
Old 05-02-2010, 05:23 AM

To the original poster, ask ... better to be safe than sorry. There are folks who make their living off of patterns and designs. Think of how you would feel if someone took your pattern because they could reproduce it without buying said pattern or asking permission, yet this is how you earn your living and put food on the table.

Now on copyright laws ... read read read. You'd be surprised at how confusing it can be, and how the misconception is about easy it is to be infringing upon the law without knowing. When I started making graphic designs, I did this without researching the law. But the more I visited other graphic designers and read the copyright laws ... and then of course creating my "own" work (though it was not good, it still is time consuming) ... I realized the other point of view.

Put yourself in the artist shoes and imagine your money walking away one person using your design without your permission, then someone copying their work, and then someone copying their work ... and the list goes on ... man you've lost alot of money all of the sudden.

I can tell you personally, I'd rather be safe than sorry. :)

/steps off the podium
Old 05-02-2010, 06:18 AM

If you don't want your originals to be copied you need to state that it is copy protected and apply for the copy wright and the copy symbal needs to be displayed plus you have to let them know how many years the copy wright is in force and terms of use. If you don't do this the image is fair game to anyone. I made a mistake a few years ago on some of my photography pictures and saw my images on cards on ebay! When you buy a quilting book that basically is paying for the copy wright.