Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I understanding this right?? >

Am I understanding this right??

Am I understanding this right??

Old 02-06-2011, 11:48 AM

You can not sell them without permission, but in my experience - it's not hard to get permission. If you just want to sell to a few friends, most folks will say "go ahead". I have even gotten permission to sell a few in my daughter's shop. These people are just trying to protect their rights.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:12 PM

This is all very interesting and very informative. I know that I would definitely not want to go to court on infringement against the corporate giants - it would be too exhausting, time consuming and expensive!!

If it is absolutely necessary that you use the licensed fabric for items that you are selling, email or call to find out and get permission and include disclaimers. If it is not necessary then I would choose from all of the other fantastic fabrics that are available.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by costumegirl
This is all very interesting and very informative. I know that I would definitely not want to go to court on infringement against the corporate giants - it would be too exhausting, time consuming and expensive!!

If it is absolutely necessary that you use the licensed fabric for items that you are selling, email or call to find out and get permission and include disclaimers. If it is not necessary then I would choose from all of the other fantastic fabrics that are available.
If that were true, wouldn't the fabric shops get in trouble for buying the fabric and then reselling it?
Old 02-06-2011, 01:01 PM

Have not seen this on fabric, yet. Give me a break! Good luck KSUE
Old 02-06-2011, 01:36 PM

Just do like the one lady and when they donate "x number of dollars to your fabric fund" you will give them one....:)

Nonprofits do it all the time...give us $25 and we'll send you a book, etc.

Or as some suggested, have them buy the fabric separately and then pay you to make the item. You could make up a bill like that.

But I think you worry too much. :) How many are you making anyway? Who is going to complain and where would be the proof that anyone sold anything to anyone once you were done if it is just for a few friends and their friends?

I'd think they have "bigger fish to fry". Maybe I'm wrong, but hard to believe any company would go after someone who make 2 or 3 of something (even if they didn't want them to which is debatable according to many of your references). It seems way more trouble than it would be worth to the company.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:39 PM

I think, after having read the court decisions, that asking permission to do something you already have a right to do is asking for trouble.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Power Poster

Waiting for an answer too.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:56 AM

If you comsider the amount of time you put into making whatever item it is, you aren't really making a profit, or very little anyway, unless you're selling the item for considerably more than what most people would be willing to pay, If you're doing a craft sale or sale to friends, any amount of $ you 'make' really just covers your expenses. If you ask an accountant how much you'd have to charge to technically make a profit you'll find that most of us qualify as hobbyists not businesses (including many businesses).
Old 02-13-2011, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by mommamac
in line behind you waiting for an answer...
Received my answer. Yes, as long as I did not mass produce.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:15 PM

It varies by company. Some do not want you making money off their designs. As in passing strawberry shortcake off as yours. Other times you can use it, sell your items, but cannot advertise those items or sell in chain store. For specific legal requirements I would call the company.