Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I understanding this right?? >

Am I understanding this right??

Am I understanding this right??

Old 02-04-2011, 08:22 AM

My light bulb moment....You can't draw your own pic of a tractor, color it green and yellow and call it a JOHN DEER design. You can't draw a cutsy little mouse with a big grim, color him black and white, put him on anything and call it MICKY MOUSE. But if you buy these fabrics from a liscened mfg., someone who has permission to use this original design, you're ok to use the fabric as you see fit. This sound reasonable to me.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by k9dancer
According to the court decisions, then, for example, if you buy a fabric with Disney characters on it and you make a purse, for example, just attach a note to the purse that says "No affiliation with Walt Disney" and you should be fine.

Go to the link provided by Tabberone. It's in real English!

http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/...edFabric.shtml
This web site has gone directly to My Pages!
Old 02-04-2011, 08:53 AM

I bought a machine and they said I could use the design to embroider and I couldn't sell the design, but I could put it on a shirt and sell the shirt. I was at a place selling my wears and told to remove the ones with certain designs on them because they are licensed. They can come get all it takes to make that design. Machine, thread, etc. I no longer buy anything that has on it "licensed" May never get you, but it only takes one bitter person to sell you out. Not worth it. She had licensed designs selling, I didn't turn her in, wonder how she sleeps at night.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:12 PM

I am pretty sure it just means that you can't sell the product..You are using the product to make something else...just as you would with nails, wood paint etc...You are not selling the fabric, just the end result..
Old 02-04-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Go read the court decisions on this question.

Thanks for posting this link. It is very informative and indicates that the court's main concern is whether a crafter might be passing off an object they made as having been made by the licensee. Clearly this could be detrimental to the reputation of, say, Disney, if we all went around selling items which did not necessarily meet their standards, implying they had made them.

But, according to the link, if we say "this is not a * product. I hand made it from * licensed fabric" we seem to be covered.

Which sounds sensible to me.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:42 PM

Here's an idea: boycott any makers/designers who market such fabric. If I pay MY money for something, I will do whatever I please with it... whether it's for myself, for a gift, or for sale. But if you insist on buying such fabric, please consult with your attorney to see what your options and limitations are. I cannot see how a manufacturer or designer can legally specify how one is to use their fabric... a free pattern, ok... but fabric one buys? Hardly!

Guerilla Granny on a soapbox (again).
Old 02-04-2011, 01:29 PM

It means you can not buy the fabric and resell it but it does not limit you to selling a product you make from the material. You are not selling the material, but the product.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:44 PM

Well you are not suppose to sell them, but if you have the people pay for your sewing & not the fabric, I think you can get away with it. I've done this with fabric & embroidery, if the person buying doesn't report it, you won't have a problem.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Go read the court decisions on this question.

According to my understanding of what is on this website, we can use the material to make something for sale. We just have to claim that we are not "related" to the manufacturer in any way shape or form.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:30 PM

This sounds too complicated. If we purchase licensenced fabric we should have the right to do what we want with it. I remember the same confusion about patterns not too long ago.