Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I understanding this right?? >

Am I understanding this right??

Am I understanding this right??

Old 02-04-2011, 02:08 AM
Administrator

we're talking - i think - about copyrighted/licensed fabric.

it's a bit different in regard to copyrighted patterns.

even then, not all of the restrictings creators and publishers try to impose would stand up in court.

i encourage everyone to do the research, be as considerate of designers as we'd want others to do for us, and make only reasonable use of fabric, patterns or both.

it's absolutely a good thing to want to do the right thing. just don't start from a place of worry and fear.

chilllaaaaaaax. pour a beverage. start reading. ;-)
Old 02-04-2011, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by KSue
I am sewing some purses for my sisters and the fabric is copyrighted saying "for individual use only" I understand I can probably make the purses and give them to my sisters. But, I have had a request to make some more purses or aprons- can I sell them??? do I need permission?
Unless you signed a contract, I wouldn't worry about it. It didn't specify what you could use it for. Nor, did it say how you could dispose of it. Reckon they are going to track you down?
Old 02-04-2011, 04:21 AM
Banned

I am sewing some purses for my sisters and the fabric is copyrighted saying "for individual use only" I understand I can probably make the purses and give them to my sisters. But, I have had a request to make some more purses or aprons- can I sell them??? do I need permission?
While the pattern on the fabric may be copyrighted, the actual fabric itself is not. The pattern may include images of registered trademarks, such as the logo of the New York Yankees or a John Deere logo, etc.

Copyright law applies to the use of licensed fabric in the application of the first sale doctrine. Bear in mind, the term "licensed fabric" legally only refers to the fact the manufacturer of the fabric has a license to use the images on the fabric. It does not mean the fabric is "licensed" to the purchaser. "Licensed" products require an agreement between the owner of the product and the potential purchaser. Fabric is not "licensed"; fabric is sold.

First Sale Doctrine is an accepted legal defense in such matters.

The basic premise is simple. Once the manufacturer of a copyrighted item releases it into the open market the copyright holder loses control over what is done with the item.

Generally the company/manufacturer who holds the copyright will try to use trademark laws to prevent items such as material from being made into articles of clothing or whatever it may be, and sold by private consumers.

However, trademark laws only apply when the seller deliberately presents the article as being original or creates the impression that it is an original (knock off's).

An example is the Disney Corporation recently attempted to sue a single mom who earned extra income by using Disney fabrics to make pillows to sell at craft shows. The court ruled that the woman in no way infringed on trademark rights and could continue her pursuit and ordered DC to pay all her legal costs and damages.

Common sense should prevail in such situations, obviously you cannot copy DVD's as trademark laws apply. You may however buy material with soccer balls, baseballs, team logos, etc. and make pillows, etc. as long as you do not try to sell them as original NFL, NBA, NLB and so forth products.

*I would say it's ok*
Old 02-04-2011, 05:05 AM

That is pretty much what the US copyright office told me when I asked them about the use of a pattern. They said I couldn't copy the pattern and sell it, but whatever I made using the pattern I could do with as I wished. The exception would be original artwork like in a needlework design. The same would apply to fabric. You can't copy the fabric and sell it, but could purchase the fabric and use it however you want.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:13 AM

I just bought some blue fabric that had this printed on the selvage: For Individual Consumption Only. Now, that gave me a chuckle. I had visions of choking down a fat quarter liberally dosed with bbq sauce. I know what it means but it still amused me.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lots2do
I just bought some blue fabric that had this printed on the selvage: For Individual Consumption Only. Now, that gave me a chuckle. I had visions of choking down a fat quarter liberally dosed with bbq sauce. I know what it means but it still amused me.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 02-04-2011, 05:23 AM

Your fine...just read the above on coopywrite/trademarks.
I think mainly a copywrite means you can't steal that pattern or item and reproduce it...that's what it's always meant. We all make items out of fabric and sell. they have to arrest every woman in the world at one time or another.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Queen Deb
It means you can make the project using that fabric for personal use- for yourself or as gifts. Not for sale.

I have never seen that of fabric before, is it some copyrighted symbol like the breast cancer stuff?
It is on all collegiate fabric and some others like cartoon characters, Disney prints etc.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:02 AM

I would choose alternative fabric for the purses. If it was marked for individual use, chances are that you can't sell it, but why take the chance. There's soooo much gorgeous fabric out thee that you CAN use without issues.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:09 AM

well all i can say is if it says that ,i would not buy it and i would tell everyone i know not to buy it. If i pay for something like fabric,I will do as I wish with it, It is MINE,ALL MINE. If the manufacturer has any sense he,she ,it will not put it on the market.