Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Amish tried selling their quilts to my LQS

Smile Amish tried selling their quilts to my LQS

My favorite LQS had an Amish man and 2 women come into the shop last week. They wanted the shop owner to buy their quilts for $500.00 and then she would sell them and keep what ever she was able to sell them over the $500.00. She politely told them "no", that she does not have that kind of traffic come through her door. Mind you, she has her own quilts displayed in the store for sale and had a hard time selling those. The 2 women with him quietly stood by him not talking, looking around at all the fabric.

Has anyone else heard of this. I find it odd that someone would come into a quilt shop to sell the shop owner quilts when she has her own to sell.

ro
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    i really dont think its odd. some shops sell on consignment. some shops need samples of quilts to show they are making different patterns and changing their inventory. so to me no, i dont think its unusual.

wow, the economy must be really bad if the Amish are having trouble selling their quilts!!

No, it's not odd. In Lancaster County, PA, there are a lot of shops that sell Amish made quilts and other sewn things.
    Gloria 

Quote Originally Posted by pinkberrykay View Post
    My favorite LQS had an Amish man and 2 women come into the shop last week. They wanted the shop owner to buy their quilts for $500.00 and then she would sell them and keep what ever she was able to sell them over the $500.00. She politely told them "no", that she does not have that kind of traffic come through her door. Mind you, she has her own quilts displayed in the store for sale and had a hard time selling those. The 2 women with him quietly stood by him not talking, looking around at all the fabric.

Has anyone else heard of this. I find it odd that someone would come into a quilt shop to sell the shop owner quilts when she has her own to sell.
    PinkBerryKay ... But is that really any different than ... a fabric rep coming in and saying, I'll sell you fabric at $x per metre... and you can sell it for whatever you want?

ITA with Ro, that some shops do sell quilts ... so what's the harm in asking? He knew his price he needed, and it goes from there.

PTQuilts ... whether Amish or ??? doesn't really matter ... they are in the same economy as the rest of us, and need to keep stretching out and marketing their products.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries
    I don't think it's that odd. As mentioned, the shop should have new inventory to display. If I were the shop owner, I'd offer to take them on consignment for a short period of time.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I also don't think that's odd. Lots of shops have an inventory of quilts for sale and no harm in asking by those Amish folks. The answer is either ,yes or no.

Not exactly odd, but IMO strange that they wouldn't ask to sell on consignment rather than a flat out $500 each for the owner to buy them. They aren't going to get many takers with that business strategy! Who has a few grand floating about to buy quilts that may or may not sell in your store? Not the best business plan...

Blog Entries
    I agree the odd part was that they wanted the owner to buy them.......wonder if they were just passing thru town.
    and ran short of money.

They may have had a crisis and needed to raise some cash. May not have ever tried to deal with the English before. Brave of them to even try. Would you ever try to navigate their world?
    Life is made up of bits and pieces. You won't know how it'll turn out till its done.

Banned
    I think the Amish are diffferent from the rest of us
    Economic terms and plans are probably alien to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Not exactly odd, but IMO strange that they wouldn't ask to sell on consignment rather than a flat out $500 each for the owner to buy them. They aren't going to get many takers with that business strategy! Who has a few grand floating about to buy quilts that may or may not sell in your store? Not the best business plan...

I don't think it's odd for anyone to try to sell their quilts to a LQS. The biggest problem that I see with the whole situation is this....The owner of the shops obviously want their products displayed in their shops. If thequilt makers did not use/buy the fabric that the owner sells, then she's not advertising her products. A lot of quilters want to purchase the patterns and the same, or some of the same, fabrics they see in a quilt.
    I think the Amish might have done alot better, setting up on the side of the road or at a parking lot some where and selling their own quilts.... maybe even at a flea market, consignment shop or something like that .
    Those who are piecemakers will sew seeds.

Hugs,
    Drue

i dont think the Amish are different from us they may dress differently and use another form off transpotation but belive me many off them are just as bussines savey as any Englisher.
    And im sure the economy is hitting them hard as well although they whont have to wory as much about how to feed there children since they produce much off there own food.
    Quote Originally Posted by gollytwo View Post

Blog Entries
    I lived close to an Amish community in Ohio and found them to be great neighbors but also astute business people.

Blog Entries
    The local shops here do not take consignments or buy outright, but the gift shops do. In some areas I have seen bed turnings in a quilt shop. (usually one or two beds piled high with quilts and a shop rep will turn down each quilt on the piles for customer to choose) As to the pricing, based on the local districts school auctions held yearly, that was fair pricing. Quilts will go higher, so there was meat on the bone, so to speak.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gollytwo View Post
    WOW! What a reaction to the word "Amish." The Amish I have quilt my pieced tops are hardworking and do have a strong knowledge of economics. They pay for things cash, don't buy what they don't need, and aren't "into" fads. It is a patriarchal society, so that's why the man did the talking and the women listened. I find them good neighbors, and I don't know about the dog thing that was mentioned. I've never seen that. These particular folks probably needed cash and thought selling to a quilt shop was logical to them. They try not to have too much contact with the English, and don't have electricity in their homes, so have no ability to post things on eBay or such venues. So they did what they thought would work. Their society is different, but that doesn't mean they are ignorant. They do try to be self-sufficent. I admire their work ethics.

I don't see it as odd. In Penn. there are a lot of places that sell Amish quilts in their shops. There are some quilt shops, gift shops that will accept quilts on consignment
    I never believe in the word can't,unless you've tried

The Amish I am aware of are honest, peaceful, hard working folk who value their families and their religion. What is wrong with that? I say more of us should take on some of their character.

Don't for one second think the Amish don't have any business sense! I used to go to a small shop in Lancaster, pa run by a little old Amish woman. They had no electricity - just lamps, and a register run by a crank handle. But I was there when a fabric rep was dealing with the Amish lady, and she really made him work for his money ! It was a hoot. She looked so small and meek, but boy, she went toe to toe with him on prices and delivery and everything. I would imagine lots of Amish are the same way, or they wouldn't stay in business very long.

The lady that owns the fabric shop where I buy my fabric has asked to display a quilt after I make it when she is cutting my fabric so that her customers can get a idea about the way the fabric choices can be used. In return if someone wants to buy the quilt, she gives them my phone number. But I do think it would be kinda rude to walk into a shop and think a shop owner would buy quilts when she is selling her own. Maybe if they had bought the fabric from her shop it might be different.

Blog Entries
    I have been to some Amish shops in PA and never did I see any that you could purchase a few for $500. They were all much higher depending on size and detail. In the 1st post I did not see where it was $500 for each quilt. Amish are hard working people and maybe if the United States of America would use some of their business tactics and sense we would not be in the poor economic shape we are in today. Our kids are not raised like when we were young and had to work to go to school and help out at home. Now many parents are "buying" their children love because they either are not able to spend any time with them or they don't want to do so or whatever. Anyways the kids are not having to do anything and have huge piles of stuff they really don't need. Granted not all kids are this way, but I am finding the majority in my area that are doing this. I find even my own kids are buying their kids stuff they really don't need.
    Last edited by PatriceJ; 02-09-2012 at 01:59 AM.

We have a large population of Amish here. They have a beautiful quilt auction every year and they get good prices for them. They are skilled at many things.

They view dogs differently that we do. They are the same to them as cows and horses. They do sell dogs in this area at flea markets and roadside stands. Most do not allow them in the house. They are in the barn with the other animals. There was an uproar about some in cages with no water at a farm stand. I am not even sure if that was true.

I respect them very much and may not agree with how they do everything. BUT one things is for sure--they take no government handouts--even Social Security and take care of eachother.,

Another store owner might have thought it was a good idea for her store. We sure shouldn't be judging the Amish by this one encounter. The Amish I know are very intelligent, hard working people. I think we can learn a lot from them and their more frugal means of living. Just because their religious beliefs are different than ours doesn't make them a bad people. I have never heard of the dog problem mentioned so again shouldn't be judging the entire Amish population by one incident.

Blog Entries
    I think the store owner made a big mistake. Buying an Amish quilt for $500 is a bargain. She could have sold a genuine Amish quilt for twice that.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkberrykay View Post

I have not heard of it in Central Jersey but it doesn't sound out of line. This would be about what the Amish would sell a quilt for around here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast