Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Amy Butler Patterns >

Amy Butler Patterns

Amy Butler Patterns

Old 02-18-2011, 07:18 AM
Banned

Good morning everyone!

I just booked my vacation for September to Sin City, Baby!! My husband and I will be married 20 years this year and we are going on our first vacation where we'll actually have to fly somewhere and I've been admiring the Amy Butler Pattern for the Weekender Travel Bag. It seems like it would be great to carry everything on the plane that I need including my laptop, ipad, camera, etc.

So, my question is, have any of ya'll made this pattern? I know it's made out of home decor type fabric, not quilting fabric, so that makes it a little pricey right off the bat. Is it easy, hard, don't bother, etc... Also, how expensive is it to make? Lastly, does anyone have the pattern they would be willing to part with and let me purchase?

Thanks for your help! I always know I can count on ya'll to help me out!
Old 02-18-2011, 08:07 AM

I have not seen this bag before but... be careful to make sure it will fit as a carry on. also you ar eonly allowed one carry on on most flights and yes tha includes your purse. make sure you check with your airlines for what you can actually carryon. :thumbup:
Old 02-18-2011, 08:11 AM

Check with your airline. I always take a piece of carry-on luggage as well as a giant tote bag that I call my purse, and have never had a problem taking both on board on multiple airlines.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:47 PM

I haven't tried that one but i do use the "birdie" sling bag when i travel. i can fit alot in it. it doesn't zip closed though I added a magnetic snap to mine
Old 02-18-2011, 02:32 PM

I just took a good look at the pattern and the supplies it calls for. It looks like a great bag, but not one you can make 'in a day!" I recently made three Professional Tote bags about the same size as this Amy Butler pattern. They turned out very nice, but took several full days to make each one. The cost, using JoAnn's 45" decorator upholstery fabric with 40% coupons was about $50 each. I think the Amy Butler bag would cost about the same - perhaps a little more since it calls for heavy upholstery fabric. You can see pictures of my Professional Tote here:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-94189-1.htm

I actually kind of wish I'd seen this Amy Butler pattern first!