Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting: Thread vs. Pinning >

Basting: Thread vs. Pinning

Basting: Thread vs. Pinning

Old 02-17-2011, 03:15 PM

Just received my small wholecloth today in the mail, and within an hour of receiving it I have it basted and ready to go. Figured I'd start with a small 16 1/2 x 16 1/2 first before jumping into the larger one. I ordered it on Monday from The Stencil Company, which is also located here in Pennsylvania, an it has already arrived. GREAT experience from this company. :) The first one I"m doing is a sunflower on black, and I think I may do nice bright petals in yellow, with verigated rainbow-ish-colored thread for the rest.

Because all of my safety pins are currently used up on DD's quilt, which is still waiting to be quilted, I had no choice but to thread baste this small wall hanging. I googled it, and found Sharon Schamber's technique, but she uses wood which maybe one day I will try. Will have to hit hubby up for some nice finish trim. Here's the link in case you don't know what I'm talking about: http://www.sewgirls.com/quilting/Thr...ng-162483-.htm

I'm now finding that I'm actually liking the thread basting because while hand-quilting my pins don't need to be constantly shifted to put my work into the hoop. Haven't actually quilted yet, and I'm wondering how secure it will be. I just wondered how many of you handquilters (and machine quilters, for that matter) prefer thread basting to pinning.

Spring looks like it's finally here!!! Today was goregous, and tomorrow's supposed to be nicer. I'm SO stoked!
Old 02-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Power Poster

i prefer thread basting. i really don't like dealing with the pins...and after putting them all in, you have to take them back out...ugh! so i thread baste. i think it holds just as well, if not better and is much easier with the hoop, and easy to remove
Old 02-17-2011, 04:01 PM
Power Poster

Happy, I just basted using Sharon S method and loved it!! Way better than all the basting I've done in the past! :D
I want those boards too!!! :D:D:D
Old 02-17-2011, 04:06 PM

:thumbup: I Love Sharon's thread basting technique! Here's a link to my recent version: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-91013-1.htm
Old 02-17-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by azwendyg
:thumbup: I Love Sharon's thread basting technique! Here's a link to my recent version: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-91013-1.htm
Thanks, Wendy!! GREAT tute. I've got it bookmarked for my next bigger quilt. WHY haven't I tried this before??? Makes me want to re-baste DD's quilt with the pins, but not bad enough to un-do it. ha ha
Old 02-17-2011, 04:26 PM

Sharon's technique is the only one I use for basting. I do use pins to baste if I'm FMQ and thread baste for hand quilting....it's just my preference :D
Old 02-17-2011, 08:51 PM

I found I prefer thread basting too...I sort of use Sharon's method but I don't have the boards..but I lay the quilt out over the dining table and let it cascade and smooth out the area resting on the table. I machine quilt and just cut and remove the threads as I come to them. Seems to work ok..better than pins in my case :)
Old 02-18-2011, 05:35 AM

I'll tell ya, after quilting last night for a few hours, I'm liking the thread basting even more. This is a small project, but I'm thinking that it would be just as good for the bigger ones, too. Funny that it took me running out of pins to figure this out. Sharon S.'s video says to use more of a tatting thread, is that what you guys use? I just used older cotton thread. I would think the tatting thread would leave holes in the quilt.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-115810.jpe  
Old 02-18-2011, 05:47 AM

WoW..... very nice! Those stitches remind me of the stitches I used to use when making collars on jackets. And azendyg's site sure makes it look like something that I could do.... just need a couple extra tables from Sam's club. Happy Treadler..... your stitches are so even and small.... very nice....indeed!!
Old 02-18-2011, 01:40 PM

I have a twin size quilt that I've been handquilting on and off for about a year. It's thread basted with thin cotton thread that breaks too easily for me to trust it for piecing. But the basting threads all still hold, even though I'm always dragging the quilt out to do a few quilting stitches and then putting it away again. :)