Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting or Pinning? >

Basting or Pinning?

Basting or Pinning?

Old 06-19-2010, 09:10 PM

I have read that before quilting, you can hold your layers together in 2 ways. You can either baste the layers or use the special curved safety pins. I haven't gotten to that point yet, but what do you prefer? I'd like some input to give me an idea as to what is easier and yet more professional looking. Would you rather baste or pin? Why do you prefer that method? Which technique produces a nicer quilt? Thanks.
Cheryl R.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:23 PM

I pin...about every 4 inches. I think it's just all a matter of preference! :)
I'd most likely use a spray baste, but the one I have gunks up my needle....I need to get some 501...
Old 06-19-2010, 09:24 PM
Power Poster

I like to spray baste, and then pin around the edges.
I have not had any problems with shifting or puckering.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:39 PM

I like to baste using this method ...... http://www.sharonschambernetwork.com...our-Quilt.aspx
Old 06-19-2010, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by CherylR
I have read that before quilting, you can hold your layers together in 2 ways. You can either baste the layers or use the special curved safety pins. I haven't gotten to that point yet, but what do you prefer? I'd like some input to give me an idea as to what is easier and yet more professional looking. Would you rather baste or pin? Why do you prefer that method? Which technique produces a nicer quilt? Thanks.
Cheryl R.
A new quilter here with not much experience, but I believe whether you pin or baste, you need to make sure your three layer lay flat with no puckers or wrinkles, and quilt from the center out. That's what I've been taught and had worked well with the few quilts I made. Making sure that the layers lay flat and don't shift (in addition to your quilting) is what gives your quilt a nice look.

I personally pin my layers because I don't want the chemicals in the basting spray introduced into my home (Asthma problems run in my family).
Old 06-20-2010, 12:20 AM
Gal

I am only learning and so far have hand based every 4 or so inches, I seem to remember reading some where that machine quilters prefer to pin rather than baste because it is easier to not sew over the baste threads. Have not tried machine quilting yet but am about to! I want to do a combination of hand and machine quilting, can't wait to see how it will turn out!

Gal
Old 06-20-2010, 04:57 AM
Power Poster

either way works but with pins you do have to be careful where you put them and to not run over them when sewing, basting this is not an issue. also, some people do not like taking the pins back out. i have done both, and find the pins kind of hard but if i used them more often it would probably become easier. i hate having to take them back out, basting stitches are easier..i like using basting spray then i can machine baste around the edges and get right to quilting. but you should try both and see what works best for you. find a friend willing to 'loan' you their bent pins to use so you can try them out with out the investment...about once a year i use mine again.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:59 AM

I spray baste and pin around the edges, also. I tried pinning and the back puckered numerous places. I tried spray basting and I will never go back to pinning.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

I pin first, then baste so I can remove all the pins. Yes, kind of silly, but I always quilt with a bunch of pets around, and I am affraid of losing a pin, and someone swallowing it!
Old 06-20-2010, 05:13 AM

I just took a class on machine quilting. We taped the backing down & then pinned every 4 inches or so. I don't have a really big table that I am willing to scratch with the pins, so it is a challenge. I am not about to do it on the floor!
I must say the results from the class were excellent. I also use basting spray for little pieces. Let's see what the voices of experience have to say!