Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Animals/ Nature Inspired and Art Quilts Opinion Needed >

Animals/ Nature Inspired and Art Quilts Opinion Needed

Animals/ Nature Inspired and Art Quilts Opinion Needed

Old 05-27-2011, 04:00 PM

Yes, it is. I used coloring books pages to make the mules plus googled "Mules' and that brought some pics up. Used different browns and tans for the mountains. A scrap of yellowish-orange made it look like a sunrise or sunset. The water was scrap, too. The trees I drew on pellon and ironed them on the wrong side of the batik and cut out. Thanks so much for the compliment. I am from Missouri and the Mule is our state animal. I made this for a man who works at the food bank I volunteer at during the week. They both share similar characteristics. I posted the 2nd pic of it, too.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

I think I would prefer a realistic looking creature, in a natural environment. Diane, your Mule Quilt is really special, love the sun over the mountains.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:21 PM
Power Poster

Okay. so far the majority seem to lean towards the realistic side of life! I am not so inclined. I lean towards wild and crazy folk style images with bright colors rather than typical browns of the folk style. If I were going to make an animal inspired art quilt it would start with frogs, peacocks, chickens, blue birds, crows, turkeys, bees or fox. and it would be whimsical. I love Ruth B. McDowells work which is both realistic and out side the box. I just recently discovered Susan Carlson "Serendipity Quilts" and even the most diehard traditionalists would love this book. You can't help but smile when you see her work! Hope whatever you are planing will go well. be sure to post your progress!
Old 05-27-2011, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

The mule quilt is great. Love your idea for using coloring books for inspiration! :D
Old 05-27-2011, 06:02 PM

I just LOVE this design.
You did an amazing job:)
Thanks so much for sharing it!
Old 05-27-2011, 06:04 PM

Ube..Thanks ... you have been most helpful!
Old 05-27-2011, 07:08 PM

My quilting, along with most things in my life right now, is completely 'unrealistic'. I do abstract, non-representational pieces, mostly with batiks, often adding relief prints (linoleum block, wood block, etc), and then mount the work on wrapped canvas. Nature is often the inspiration, even though the result is abstract.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:27 PM

I cant remember who did it but I loved the pink rhino quilt that was on the The Quilt Show web. I love landscapes myself but I do alot of fantasy like fairies, mermaids etc.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:27 AM

I LOVE Cardinals and my bird feeders have flocks of them. I would love to do a
realistic from pics taken as they flutter around looking for an open seat on the feeder.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:40 AM

I like realistic. I would love to see a pattern for horses. Especially trotters and pacers in full harness. I have never seen a pattern or even a printed fabric (panels) of them.( You might have guessed I have harness horses)
I have taken so many pictures of them and tried to come up with a pattern no luck I am not creative in that way.
Are you going to design for us?
Thanks JeanneZ