Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Anne Bright Square Dance

Anne Bright Square Dance

Hi - Just wondered if any of you have used the Anne Bright "Square Dance" edge-to-edge design on your quilts? If you have, would it be possible to post a picture? I just finished a modern quilt and am thinking about using that design since there is a lot of negative space in this quilt. Thanks so much!
    LaDonna

Blog Entries
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Quote Originally Posted by plays10s View Post
    Hi - Just wondered if any of you have used the Anne Bright "Square Dance" edge-to-edge design on your quilts? If you have, would it be possible to post a picture? I just finished a modern quilt and am thinking about using that design since there is a lot of negative space in this quilt. Thanks so much!
    LaDonna
    There is just no way to tell if a quilting pattern will work without seeing the quilt top itself. Please post a picture of the top. Thanks!!
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

I use pantos all the time and would not end up with perfectly straight lines, therefore I avoid anything that has them.

Really interesting designs for sure. Please show us the finished quilt. That quilt pattern looks intriguing for a modern quilt.

It also looks like it's a large pantograph so is your machine going to handle the up and down movement to achieve the block design?
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

I agree with Dianne. Hand guided pantos like this will not be perfectly straight. It is almost impossible to get a straight line with a longarm without using robotics or a ruler. That is just how it is.

I have a panto with big allover stars made of long straight lines, many on the diagonal, of course. The first time I used it I wasn't satisfied with how straight my freemotion lines were. So the next time I used that panto, I used my stylus instead of the laser light, and ran it along a ruler placed next to the lines on the paper panto. It took more time doing it that way, but my lines were straight.

I have used this panto (can't post a picture) and really like it. It is a little too close for me, but I found I liked it well enough. It is not one I've used a lot because I think it really takes the right quilt top pattern. Not saying that I chose the right pattern, but I thought it worked for the pattern called City Blocks. I would like it better if it was more open. It took a long time to quilt. I guess it would be harder to keep the lines straight if it was more open. The picture of the panto was deceiving to me, considering the size was 13 inches. I would use it again with the right top. I am not very good at choosing pantos. That's why I have so many(over 70). I did it!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jaiade; 08-30-2018 at 07:20 PM. Reason: add pic
    Jan

Attachment 600261Here's another with varigated thread. Above had purple.
    Jan

Attachment 600262You can see stitching better. Not perfect, but ok.
    Jan

I have used it on many quilts. It is fairly easy to keep the lines straight. When the quilt is washed any bobble will be gone. It is great on mens quilts. I love her designs.