Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Featherweight

Featherweight

Hello
    can someone tell me more about featherweight machines?
    thanks

Too much to tell. Loads of info online. I have one and I enjoy using it.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Hi and welcome to the board. Are you asking about a vintage Featherweight or the new one that Singer has available? I can't speak from personal knowledge but the general consensus out there of Singer Featherweight enthusiasts is that the new one (and any non vintage singer for that matter) is not a good machine.

If you can get your hands on a vintage Featherweight that works you will be blessed! I am still on the hunt for one myself.

Blog Entries
    Here are posts within the last year on our board. Google will have millions more. Perhaps explain what kind of information you are particularly looking for. Good luck!

https://www.quiltingboard.com/search...rchid=14118581
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Power Poster
    The vintage featherweights are a great little straight stitch only machine. The big draw for sewers is they are light weight for taking to sewing retreats. If you have a chance at a reasonable priced one, (under $100) and it is in working order with all its parts, snap it up. They resell well and if you look on eBay, you can get an idea of what they go for.

There is a website devoted to Featherweights-

The Featherweight Shop- Carmon and April Henry. Tons of information there.

Welcome to the board!

https://singer-featherweight.com/collections/shop

Welcome to the board.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Welcome from NE Ohio.

Welcome. I have a featherweight from 1937. They are great for straight sewing, and very easily transported. They are easy to maintain and clean. I paid 300 for mine 5 years ago. Well worth it!

Blog Entries
    I have 2 and I love them. They weigh only 12 pounds and are great for retreats. I love to hear them..they sort of hum. Stitches are even. I have a 1946 black one that I was lucky enough to find for $125 several years ago. This year I splurged and got a 1941 that has been professionally painted ruby red. It is beautiful and I used it ats a centerpiece at a quilting luncheon. I had planned to sell the black one but she has a name and I can’t bear to part with her. So for now I still have Agnes and Ruby.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Mine is pale green with a matching case. From an estate, paid $250. It has the original sales receipt in the attachment box and I knew it was barely used and in mint condition. It became mine this year. Happy, happy !

Blog Entries
    Do a search on this board for information. There's also a section for vintage machines, if that's the Featherweight information you're seeking.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I am almost 80. I have my Mom's featherweight. She made most of my clothes when I was young so it has had a lot of use. Now it is pretty much relegated to classes. So easy to carry around and still a work-horse. Of course I also have a Husqvarna-Viking and a (Would you believe I had to go into the sewing room to find out what brand it is. The memory is going fast. LOL) Janome. I wouldn't trade a single one of them.
    All my grand-children have paws.

Wow, the new "featherweight" retails for $399. I would go for the vintage one. But before you purchase, find someone with one and sew on it. The stitch is beautiful but if you are a fast sewer, they can bounce around. If you are purchasing a vintage one you will often find the locking clasp broken. Someone in the past probably pried it open to see what was inside. I purchased a case with the broken clasp. What a circus to replace it.

I inherited a featherweight (1945 vintage.) I gifted mine to a granddaughter who lives on a charter boat. I thought the case might protect it somewhat. She was thrilled! My sil was the second owner, I was the third, and my GDis the 4th. She says she will also put her pic in the lid so a pictoral history will accompany the machine. Her "captain" will keep it in good working order.

Quote Originally Posted by tranum View Post
    Mine is pale green with a matching case. From an estate, paid $250. It has the original sales receipt in the attachment box and I knew it was barely used and in mint condition. It became mine this year. Happy, happy !
    Oooooh, I'd love to have a pale green one just because they are so pretty! I was at the sewing machine store this week and they had a pretty aqua Janome called a "Beachcomber". It was really small and I loved the color. Just had to keep that credit card in my purse.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    Hello Five Paws.....I can relate to your post. You sounded just like me. I am also almost 80 and I also have a Featherweight and a Husq. Viking and Also Janome. ALso memory going back like you. I don't know what happens to us when we get up there close to 80. I have one Fur baby....Papillon. Have a nice day. Sandrea

Blog Entries
    Short simple answer. They only weigh twelve pounds, so that makes them ideal for carrying to classes, and the old one have a fabulous steady stitch.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I love my vintage featherweight. Don’t be fooled into thinking they really lightweight. They aren’t because they aren’t plastic. But they are small and wonderful to take to retreats, etc. and you can carry them onto a plane easily.

pal
    I have a 1947 Featherweight and use it more than my Husqvarna. It's like an old friend - I'm old, she's old, and we get along just fine together.
    PACE - Positive Attitude Changes Everything

"All things are literally better, lovlier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."