Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another Accuquilt Question - Equilateral Triangles from Hexies >

Another Accuquilt Question - Equilateral Triangles from Hexies

Another Accuquilt Question - Equilateral Triangles from Hexies

Old 12-29-2014, 07:58 AM

Don't know what sizes your dies are, but if one of them is 1/2" wider per side than one of the others (1/4" seam allowance on each edge) then I think you should be good to go with your plan of "slicing and dicing".
Old 12-29-2014, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

I thought I was pretty clever. I have the large hex die so I thought well just cut a lot of them and then cut in half, the hex is so large the 1/4 seam allowance won't be noticed and it wasn't but I forgot to mark the straight of grain before cutting in half. What a mess. I had bias on every seam. LOL. All the pieces went in the stuffing for pet bed bag.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

Just remember to allow for seam allowances on your cutpieces.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:04 AM

Well, I finally got motivated and just went in and tried it. The answer is no - none of the hexies cut up into 60 degree triangles will fit the other hexie shapes! LOL I am still sick and foggy but I'm going to break down and just do the math and make some triangles to fit. Or buy the die so I can make many triangles that fit. LOL

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I thought I was pretty clever. I have the large hex die so I thought well just cut a lot of them and then cut in half, the hex is so large the 1/4 seam allowance won't be noticed and it wasn't but I forgot to mark the straight of grain before cutting in half. What a mess. I had bias on every seam. LOL. All the pieces went in the stuffing for pet bed bag.
Oh gawsh I am so glad I looked up how to use my cutter before I started cutting...that was the first thing I did was check how the grain should be. Also I didn't want directional prints to be all wonky. Ebony Love's videos are great - she shows some great ideas for marking the dies for accurate/straight cuts too. I aligned the straight rain with the die so the least amount of stretch was going through the machine as Ebony suggests and had great luck with my hexies. They aren't TOTALLY perfect but enough I don't think it will affect the piecing. Good luck with yours!!!
Old 12-30-2014, 05:32 AM

The paperwork that comes with each die usually tells you how to lay that fab so SOG is in proper alignment for cutting.

I use a silver sharpie to mark my dies.........

When you cut a hex into its segments you certainly are going to get a lot of bias edges. If you are EPP it really shouldn't matter much....machine piecing...careful handling.......like with MSQC designs......