Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Another Accuquilt Question - Equilateral Triangles from Hexies

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar

Another Accuquilt Question - Equilateral Triangles from Hexies

I asked on another of my favorite forums but there's more folks here who might have an answer for me! This might be a dumb question, but I'm tired, sick with that awful influenza that's going around, and pregnant. My brain just will not function. Can anyone tell me - I bought the hexie die (not for english paper piecing - the other multi hexie die) for my accuquilt go and it will be a while before I can afford to buy the equilateral triangle die that can be used with the hexies to make stars. Could I cut one of the hexie shapes - then cut with my rotary cutter and ruler the hexie into equilateral triangles to go with one of the other hexie sizes? Has anyone done this? My brain might burst if I have to do too much thinking on this or math at the moment...but I'm wondering if anyone has tried?
    Valerie Smith - pumpkinpatchquilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

I think you want a 60 deg triangle. Can you just cut this with a regular ruler placed on the 60 deg mark?

Quote Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
    I think you want a 60 deg triangle. Can you just cut this with a regular ruler placed on the 60 deg mark?
    Yes you're right! I'm trying to get out of math. My brain hurts. I was trying to think of an easy way to get those triangles without a die cutter and without having to cut strips and bust out my ruler! Hexies are basically made up of these triangles but I'm thinking...if I cut the hexies from the die and just slice them corner to corner...won't I get a bunch of them? LOL Just wondering which size I will need to go with the hexie die I already have...so I can think less.

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter View Post
    Yes you're right! I'm trying to get out of math. My brain hurts. I was trying to think of an easy way to get those triangles without a die cutter and without having to cut strips and bust out my ruler! Hexies are basically made up of these triangles but I'm thinking...if I cut the hexies from the die and just slice them corner to corner...won't I get a bunch of them? LOL Just wondering which size I will need to go with the hexie die I already have...so I can think less.
    BUT......no seam allowance if you just slice a hexie.........better to use the ruler with strips of fabric...or make a template from plastic and use it.......

Ok I think I'm going to answer my own question. The edges of the triangle need to match up with the edge of the hexie...so I think I'm going to have to just cut one, slice it up and measure the edge of the triangle to see if it will match up with one of the dies. I will start with the largest one on the die and see what happens. LOL Gahhhh I'm sick I just don't want to have to think!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    BUT......no seam allowance if you just slice a hexie.........better to use the ruler with strips of fabric...or make a template from plastic and use it.......
    You're right - except I have 3 sizes of hexies on that die. So I'm wondering if the largest hexie would make triangles to fit the middle or smaller one? Oh well I just thought I might ask to see if someone had tried it before. I guess I'll just have to try and see!

Thank you!

Something fun though I just thought about - if I wanted to make a scrappy or modern quilt just out of those equilateral/60 degree triangles...I could just cut a bunch of the largest hexies from my die and slice them up!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO MATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter View Post
    You're right - except I have 3 sizes of hexies on that die. So I'm wondering if the largest hexie would make triangles to fit the middle or smaller one? Oh well I just thought I might ask to see if someone had tried it before. I guess I'll just have to try and see!
    Thank you!
    Yes, I have that die too, but also bought the triangles to go with it..... There is a way to create/cut a diamond, then cut that in half and get two triangles from it. EB does that with one of her patterns.....honeycomb, also has the diamond template in the pkg...but easy enough to make one.......I have the pattern somewhere.........

Blog Entries
    make sure you add the 1/4 in seam allowance to each. Try it on paper first to see if it works and save your fabric
    Judy

OH - or dummy me. Wouldn't one of the outer edges of the hexie let me know what die it might match up with? If it's 60 degree angles then all three sides would be the same length - is that right?

Don't know what sizes your dies are, but if one of them is 1/2" wider per side than one of the others (1/4" seam allowance on each edge) then I think you should be good to go with your plan of "slicing and dicing".

I thought I was pretty clever. I have the large hex die so I thought well just cut a lot of them and then cut in half, the hex is so large the 1/4 seam allowance won't be noticed and it wasn't but I forgot to mark the straight of grain before cutting in half. What a mess. I had bias on every seam. LOL. All the pieces went in the stuffing for pet bed bag.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Power Poster
    Just remember to allow for seam allowances on your cutpieces.

Well, I finally got motivated and just went in and tried it. The answer is no - none of the hexies cut up into 60 degree triangles will fit the other hexie shapes! LOL I am still sick and foggy but I'm going to break down and just do the math and make some triangles to fit. Or buy the die so I can make many triangles that fit. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I thought I was pretty clever. I have the large hex die so I thought well just cut a lot of them and then cut in half, the hex is so large the 1/4 seam allowance won't be noticed and it wasn't but I forgot to mark the straight of grain before cutting in half. What a mess. I had bias on every seam. LOL. All the pieces went in the stuffing for pet bed bag.
    Oh gawsh I am so glad I looked up how to use my cutter before I started cutting...that was the first thing I did was check how the grain should be. Also I didn't want directional prints to be all wonky. Ebony Love's videos are great - she shows some great ideas for marking the dies for accurate/straight cuts too. I aligned the straight rain with the die so the least amount of stretch was going through the machine as Ebony suggests and had great luck with my hexies. They aren't TOTALLY perfect but enough I don't think it will affect the piecing. Good luck with yours!!!

The paperwork that comes with each die usually tells you how to lay that fab so SOG is in proper alignment for cutting.

I use a silver sharpie to mark my dies.........

When you cut a hex into its segments you certainly are going to get a lot of bias edges. If you are EPP it really shouldn't matter much....machine piecing...careful handling.......like with MSQC designs......