Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another Accuquilt Question - Equilateral Triangles from Hexies >

Another Accuquilt Question - Equilateral Triangles from Hexies

Another Accuquilt Question - Equilateral Triangles from Hexies

Old 12-29-2014, 06:24 AM

Default Another Accuquilt Question - Equilateral Triangles from Hexies

I asked on another of my favorite forums but there's more folks here who might have an answer for me! This might be a dumb question, but I'm tired, sick with that awful influenza that's going around, and pregnant. My brain just will not function. Can anyone tell me - I bought the hexie die (not for english paper piecing - the other multi hexie die) for my accuquilt go and it will be a while before I can afford to buy the equilateral triangle die that can be used with the hexies to make stars. Could I cut one of the hexie shapes - then cut with my rotary cutter and ruler the hexie into equilateral triangles to go with one of the other hexie sizes? Has anyone done this? My brain might burst if I have to do too much thinking on this or math at the moment...but I'm wondering if anyone has tried?
Old 12-29-2014, 06:47 AM

I think you want a 60 deg triangle. Can you just cut this with a regular ruler placed on the 60 deg mark?
Old 12-29-2014, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
I think you want a 60 deg triangle. Can you just cut this with a regular ruler placed on the 60 deg mark?
Yes you're right! I'm trying to get out of math. My brain hurts. I was trying to think of an easy way to get those triangles without a die cutter and without having to cut strips and bust out my ruler! Hexies are basically made up of these triangles but I'm thinking...if I cut the hexies from the die and just slice them corner to corner...won't I get a bunch of them? LOL Just wondering which size I will need to go with the hexie die I already have...so I can think less.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter View Post
Yes you're right! I'm trying to get out of math. My brain hurts. I was trying to think of an easy way to get those triangles without a die cutter and without having to cut strips and bust out my ruler! Hexies are basically made up of these triangles but I'm thinking...if I cut the hexies from the die and just slice them corner to corner...won't I get a bunch of them? LOL Just wondering which size I will need to go with the hexie die I already have...so I can think less.
BUT......no seam allowance if you just slice a hexie.........better to use the ruler with strips of fabric...or make a template from plastic and use it.......
Old 12-29-2014, 07:11 AM

Ok I think I'm going to answer my own question. The edges of the triangle need to match up with the edge of the hexie...so I think I'm going to have to just cut one, slice it up and measure the edge of the triangle to see if it will match up with one of the dies. I will start with the largest one on the die and see what happens. LOL Gahhhh I'm sick I just don't want to have to think!! LOL
Old 12-29-2014, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
BUT......no seam allowance if you just slice a hexie.........better to use the ruler with strips of fabric...or make a template from plastic and use it.......
You're right - except I have 3 sizes of hexies on that die. So I'm wondering if the largest hexie would make triangles to fit the middle or smaller one? Oh well I just thought I might ask to see if someone had tried it before. I guess I'll just have to try and see!

Thank you!
Old 12-29-2014, 07:14 AM

Something fun though I just thought about - if I wanted to make a scrappy or modern quilt just out of those equilateral/60 degree triangles...I could just cut a bunch of the largest hexies from my die and slice them up!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO MATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like that.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter View Post
You're right - except I have 3 sizes of hexies on that die. So I'm wondering if the largest hexie would make triangles to fit the middle or smaller one? Oh well I just thought I might ask to see if someone had tried it before. I guess I'll just have to try and see!
Thank you!
Yes, I have that die too, but also bought the triangles to go with it..... There is a way to create/cut a diamond, then cut that in half and get two triangles from it. EB does that with one of her patterns.....honeycomb, also has the diamond template in the pkg...but easy enough to make one.......I have the pattern somewhere.........
Old 12-29-2014, 07:37 AM

make sure you add the 1/4 in seam allowance to each. Try it on paper first to see if it works and save your fabric
Old 12-29-2014, 07:45 AM

OH - or dummy me. Wouldn't one of the outer edges of the hexie let me know what die it might match up with? If it's 60 degree angles then all three sides would be the same length - is that right?