Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another Basting Question >

Another Basting Question

Another Basting Question

Old 01-21-2012, 09:18 AM

Default Another Basting Question

For those of you that responded to my basting question, thank you all, and lots of good tips! I am going to try the spray, it sounds too good to be true! My last questions is...... after spray basting, is it necessary to also baste by hand? If not, how long will the spray last? Sometimes I will start a quilt, and then get sidetracked with other projects and not finish it for a while. I also take my quilts in the rv to work on while travelling, which means they get tossed around alot. How much faith do you all have in the basting spray lasting without basting by hand in addition to?
Old 01-21-2012, 09:26 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Under those circumstances, not a lot.
Just go ahead and hand baste it. The time spent will give you ease of mind for months/years to come while you work on it everywhere.

Jan in VA
Old 01-21-2012, 09:26 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

I have left them for months in smaller projects successfully, and I don't hand baste in addition. Some brands last longer than others, the can will usually say. 501 works best for me. The longest it has held for me is 6 months.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:59 AM

It is not neccesary to hand baste , after you have spray basted. But the edges sometimes lift , and I do pin the perimeter. If this is a project that will be "handled" alot in the quilting process , you may get some "lifting" of the layers. I suggest you try first on a small project. Humidity will effect the adherance of the layers, since the spray is water soluable.
I would suggest of you do get sidetracked to put the project in a rubbermaid type tub.
The brand I like is the 505 spray( carried at quilt shops) but have also had good success with the Dritz brand ( bought with coupon at JoAnns).
Old 01-21-2012, 10:34 AM

I use the 505 and handle my quilts a lot during quilting (wrestling is more like it, lol). I do pin the 4 corners and maybe a few pins along the sides of a big quilt. I have had no problems with the layers separating and no problems with uneven feeding of fabric. It pretty much lasts until you wash it. I do use my accufeed (walking) foot for straight line stitching. Spray lightly, in a well ventilated area!
Old 01-21-2012, 11:19 AM
Power Poster

i spray basted my Australian quilt together weeks ago and put it aside. Checked it today and it's still fine. i did put safety pins around the edges to make sure it didn't pull apart with handling. I used 505. Sulky is good too. when quilted, i soak my quilt and spin the water out and fill and re-soak and spin out to remove fusible.