Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another binding thread >

Another binding thread

Another binding thread

Old 06-06-2010, 05:19 PM

I bookmarked the magic binding site....I wont have any to bind for a few weeks but I am going to mess around with it to see how it works. Thanks
Old 06-06-2010, 11:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Prism99
I think this is the best machine quilt binding technique I have seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wprg5...os=1nZBY_XIxcw

If you have a feather stitch on your machine, I think it would look fantastic on both sides.
Had done this ,sussing out similar method on corners without walking foot [hate machining and don't know what a walking foot is ,altho probably got one! ] but found her joining method very complicated and wouldn't do , I merely turn one raw edge under slightly and tuck other into it .
Why was she wearing gloves???????
Old 06-06-2010, 11:40 PM

i guess i am a lucky one i sew mine by machine the front and back at the same time and have no problem making a miter corner i use a walking foot to do this with but in the overall putting on the binding means i am almost done with the quilt and i cant wait to start another
Old 06-07-2010, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by penski
i guess i am a lucky one i sew mine by machine the front and back at the same time and have no problem making a miter corner i use a walking foot to do this with but in the overall putting on the binding means i am almost done with the quilt and i cant wait to start another
OK curiosity killed the cat but satisfaction brought it back. Both at the same time?? Please explain?
Old 06-07-2010, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by luvin quilting
Is the magic strip something you buy?
No, you don't have to buy anything... It is simply another strip of fabric.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by seamstome
I bookmarked the magic binding site....I wont have any to bind for a few weeks but I am going to mess around with it to see how it works. Thanks
I did the same thing on a "quilt" about 8 inches square. Didn't complete it and left it open at the point where I would normally connect the binding. I keep it around to refer to since it isn't something I do every day.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by bluestarmom
with arthritis in both hands now, especially my right thmb area, hand stitching is not my best way to do anything. The only way I can bind is simply cheat. What ever I use as my backing, I make sure will compliment my last border. After I have done what ever it is that I want to in the way of quilting the quilt, I then trim the backing to within 2"s, then fold once and I have to press that fold a bit so it doesn't kinda rumple, if that's a word and then fold the inch that is left over to the front. I press again.. and then I pin it herter and yon to hold that crease, I pick out one of the more stylish stitches that would would with the quilt, using the same thread and then make sure it's even right down the edge of the border so that it's stitched on both sides. Meaning the edge of the border and the quilt. The design stitch would be a bit wide then usual, but since I have gotten the hang fof it, it also looks fine on the backing when it's done. If you cannot climb the entire mountain, then cut through the pass. As long as it gets you there.

blue...
This works beautifully! I showed my 8 year old grand daughter how to do this to her doll quilt that she and I made and it turned out wonderfully. It's so secure and won't be comming out for sure!
Old 06-07-2010, 09:37 AM

I machine stitch mine with a zig zag stitch. Also have turned the backing over the front for the binding too. I don't hand sew anything unless it is to sew on a button! But, mine are for the kids at church and g-kids and they don't care how I sew it together,just so it is theirs! lol
Old 06-08-2010, 05:58 AM

There was a link to a show with a guy discussing binding, but it seems to have gone away. I only was able to watch half of it. Can someone tell me what that link was?
Thanks!
Old 06-08-2010, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Nanjun
Thats how I do my bindings BUT when I get to the corners
They are a mess.
I hand stitch but my corners are always pityful! I've purchased all kinds of gadgets and tried all kinds of directions but they still come out looking bad.