Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
another how should I quilt this thread. >

another how should I quilt this thread.

another how should I quilt this thread.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:30 AM

I really like your quilt. I would SID around the doors and emphasize some of the door details by stitching around them. Also, stitch around the applique and just add a few wavy lines in the leaves. I would also use a wavy line in the sashing. It's so busy that you don't need anything elaborate because it won't show up. Keep it simple and I think you will be pleased.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:00 AM

Love the doors and this quilt is beautiful.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:14 AM

I love the modern look of your quilt. If it is in your capability, I would love to see pebbling in the sashing so that the doors and all the applique appear to be floating. Then I would keep it super simple in the doors. I am not a SID person, but this quilt seems to call for all those cross lines in the doors to be SID on each line thus emphasizing the design elements. If you are using a batting where you can get away with no stitching in the leaves, then I wouldn't put any there. (Warm & Natural is 10". Makes it a good choice for me.) Your fabric speaks for itself....maybe just one or two echo stitches around the treetops. The trunks need some strong vertical bark like wavy lines.

Now, which to do first, I don't really know. If I were doing it I think I would start with the SID in the doors, then the echoes around the applique, then finish with the pebbling. All on a machine. I am not nor will ever be a hand quilter.

To test if you would like any idea, you can put a clear something - plexiglass, clear ruler, clear glass, on your quilt. Then put a piece of clear food wrap or tracing paper on top of the hard surface. Next step would be to mark the main elements of your quilt with whatever will write on your top paper or plastic wrap, being very careful to keep the marks on the top paper. Then try your quilting designs. This works for me. If you design something really elaborate, you can even sew through the paper. Most times you can tell quickly if you would like an idea. There are marking pins (think Crayola) that are supposed to be washable & could be wiped off the clear heavy vinyl you can buy at the big fabric stores.

Please post a pic when you do whatever you decide. it truly is a great top.

Edited to add: I just saw this thread. It is a great example of things you can do to make your quilt the best it can be. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t249162.html

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 06-28-2014 at 06:23 AM.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:04 AM

Really nice quilt! You've gotten some good suggestions. I would add to also put some quilting in the large applique pieces so it hangs nicely on the wall. And there is nothing wrong with combining machine quilting for the SID and hand quilting for the applique parts.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingbuddy View Post
I'm in the hand quilt group on this one also. Very unique and fun quilt! I can see why you are so proud of it. Is this your own design?
Yes. I'm very proud of it. I created the quilt blocks myself and drew my own appliques.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

I think I would take it to a professional long arm quilter and have it done since it is your baby and you know it will be with you a long time, why not invest in a pro?
Old 10-02-2014, 07:18 AM

Well, I'm in the middle of quilting this and something has come up. Where the piano keyboard is is some of the prettiest stippling I've done yet except I used black thread on the top and beige on the back. Where the black keys are you can see little dots of beige in places. I used different color matching thread on this top and this is the only place that the stitching came out different. As though I changed the tension. It is a different fabric, which may have something to do with it. If any of you have had this problem, did you leave it or take it out? That is what I'm trying to decide.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

Leave it. Chances are when you wash the quilt the bobbin pokies will relax back into the quilt sandwich. If they don't, you can take a micron pigma pen in black and color those tan pokies black.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Leave it. Chances are when you wash the quilt the bobbin pokies will relax back into the quilt sandwich. If they don't, you can take a micron pigma pen in black and color those tan pokies black.
Where do they sell a pen like that?
Old 10-02-2014, 08:10 AM

This is a stunning piece of art! I would keep the quilting very simple, as others have advised, and let the piecing speak to the viewer. And don't let anybody touch it!!!