Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another log cabin question, log or strips? >

Another log cabin question, log or strips?

Another log cabin question, log or strips?

Old 12-19-2018, 04:17 AM

I just paper piece mine, all sizes, from small to large. Done it that way for years
Old 12-19-2018, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

I cut my logs to size. I get immediate feedback as to whether my 1/4 inch is correct, and I don't have to stop, measure, and cut both sides of the last log. No fabric is wasted, everything goes much faster and there is no need to square up at the end. This is the Judy Martin method.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:29 PM

I am currently in the middle of a log cabin quilt (my first, it will be throw size). I am using the Creative Grids ruler, 6" block. This method appealed to me as I wanted that little bit of wiggle room. I like that when I trim the last 2 sides on the 3rd go 'round, all my blocks are 6" square. What I don't like is that there is more fabric waste with this method. However, it is a good method to use if you are making a scrappy log cabin and using left over pieces of fabric already in your stash.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:44 PM

I too have made several log cabin quilts, started out years ago making the first one and having to square up. I recently started making Eleanor's Orion's Star, I couldn't find my book anywhere so I decided to watch the video and realized why I had to square up because when I was pressing the logs evidently I was stretching everything out. This time I hit the seam with the iron but that's all. I'm working with a fat eighth bundle that I received as a gift so I am cutting the 2 1/2 inch but not the length initially.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:52 PM
Power Poster

I enjoy doing EB's log cabin QIAD method for log cabin quilts that aren't overly scrappy. It goes faster for me.
When I do scrappy, I like to cut the logs to size~
Old 12-20-2018, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Barb2018 View Post
I'm working on a log cabin using pre-cut pieces from Jordan Fabrics. It's the first one I've ever tried. Everything was going great until about the third log away from the center, and things didn't line up any more. Obviously my 1/4" seam isn't exactly where it should be, and the discrepancy is magnified with every log you put on. The project is stalled, because I don't know how I want to proceed. I think my next one will be with strips just so I can see if I like it better. I seem to do better if I have wiggle room.
I have made several of Jordan Fabrics precut table runners- perfectly cut so you do have to be careful to use a perfect 1/4 seam. You know very quickly if you are “off” when piece doesn’t fit. Encourage you to try again because end product will be perfect. Love Jordan Fabrics and their video tutorials.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:51 AM

EB's method is usually quicker. The only time you get into problems is if you are pulling the fabric. Then it will not be the correct length and when you add just the tiniest length, by the time you have sewn in all the logs, it could be a sizable amount. If just a bit off, it is easy to trim the outside logs and have it not be noticeable. I'm always in a hurry, so strip quilting is the way I go and I just try to be careful.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:17 PM

I tried the strip method and realized that my garment sewing experience was interfering. I then tried cutting the strips to size and always putting the strip about to be sewn on the top. If there has been any stretching while pressing on the previous rounds, your feed dogs will help compensate. I much prefer using strips cut to a specific size and found that my blocks rarely needed any trimming.

I have a friend who also prefers the strips cut to size but swears by only finger pressing the seams until the block is complete. She has wonderful colour sense and makes amazing blocks. I have been honoured to put them together for her (charity and community quilt tops take a lot of time to complete. Many hands make light(er) work sometimes)
Old 12-20-2018, 07:14 PM

I also use the logs cut to size. I have made several log cabin quilts, and I have never had to square up the blocks before sewing them together.