Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Another Quilt backing question

Another Quilt backing question

I'm making a couple of quilts that are about 44" wide. I just made the backing for one of them, and the seams may end up almost in the binding. Obviously, it doesn't look all that great, either. with the seam that close to the edge of the quilt. With the other one, I had some extra blocks, so I'm making a strip with them to add the extra width I need.

How do you handle the first one?

bkay

I would put a 6 inch strip off center vertically to give it extra width. When I need more, I will put in extra blocks.

I add my extra width vertically, even if it's only a few inches. If you use a nice contrast, it becomes a design feature. If I didn't want a contrast, I'd seam the back somewhere about 1/3 of the way in. I have added a narrow piece at the edge when the back mysteriously became smaller than it needed to be. I'd rather an extra seam than unpin a pinned quilt.

Power Poster
    If the seam is going to be close to the edge, I would do an extra wide binding. You can still keep it 1/4 inch in the front and do it wider on the back.

If I had enough fabric, I would run the backing in the other direction with the seam in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by toverly View Post
    I would put a 6 inch strip off center vertically to give it extra width. When I need more, I will put in extra blocks.
    Totally agree with this.

If I have enough left over fabric from the quilt top, I piece it together in strips to make piano keys. Some strips my be different widths. Cut to the size of piece you need to make the backing the size you want. If need to, I may add more small pieces to the strips. When making large quilts, I will do this at each end of the backing. I think it looks nice.

I would do this too. I would feel more comfortable during the quilting process if I knew there was extra on the edges.
    Kristi

Thanks, I'll take off those edges and add it to the center area.

bkay

This is a perfect application for the diagonal pieced back. We have done it a few times and love it.

Take a look at this calculator: http://www.multi-patch.com/html/diag...calculator.php

Here is a good pic of one of our diagonal pieced backs: https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f...k-t130313.html

The Flynn link in my post doesn't work any more, but there should be other more detailed demos on the web.

This is so close, I'd look at my stash again to see if I had a piece 46" wide. There are a few out there.

Wesing, thanks. I've already cut it, so it's too late to do the diagonal. It is nice fabric, so I don't want to waste it. I'll remember it for the next time, though.

No Petthefabric, 44" is the width it came in. I'll just cut off the pieced edges and cut about a 7" strip and add it to the middle. That way, I won't have to rip out those two pieces on the sides and I'll have plenty of extra for the sides of the back.

bkay
    Last edited by bkay; 09-11-2017 at 04:29 PM.

I would not put a seam so close to the binding. Mainly because of the extra thickness as I sew one side of my binding by machine and the front side by hand. Too thick to get a needle through.

Well, Twinkie, I'm a newbie. I've never dealt with this before. I'm learning some stuff the hard way - by experience. Maybe this is an appropriate time to repeat the old saw, "Experience is a dear school and a fool can learn in no other".

bkay

Blog Entries
    I made up blocks to go down the center of an oriental one. worked well and used up left over fabric.
    Attached Images Attached Images

For large quilts I cut the backing fabric in half lengthwise, add a piece down the center. For smaller ones I will add a piece wherever To make it wide enough. If need be I have trimmed the side a tad to make it fit.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Yes, Off-center is nicer looking that straight down the middle.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

This is what I do or put several if in needed.