Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another sash question >

Another sash question

Another sash question

Old 04-02-2021, 11:13 AM

Have you tried a different color sashing? I would like to see that dark pink (or red) for sashing that you have used in the block. Don't know if it would look good, but I would try it.
Old 04-02-2021, 01:33 PM

I prefer it with the lace touching, no sashing.

Watson
Old 04-02-2021, 03:08 PM

I’m on the sashing side. Very pretty
Old 04-02-2021, 04:51 PM

I'm with the sashing crowd. When I opened both to look at, I noticed the embroidery with the sashing, but my eye went to the lace on the one without. I think that may have been because of the different patterns and colors of lace next to each other. I think the sashing and the lace frame the embroidery better.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 04-02-2021, 04:59 PM

Thanks everyone for the comments and ideas - I got to thinking about mmunchkins idea, and found a very good match in my stash. I think I like this the best, I liked the idea of sashing, but it was just getting to be too much pink. I think adding the second color helps bring out the embroidery more, and gives it a bit more "elegant" look. I'll use a lace overlay on the corner stones, I've got plenty that is wide enough to do that.

I'm going to sleep on this and decide in the morning. I've got the borders made, so will have to extend them if I add sashing, but I made them with that in mind, so it will be very easy to add a bit on the ends to make them longer, and then attach the corners.

I should have taken the time to put this on the design wall. The lighting over my ironing board is great for ironing, but not so great for taking pictures! Partly because I can't get far enough away so the flash doesn't distort the colors.

Attached Thumbnails imgp5372.jpg  

Last edited by Macybaby; 04-02-2021 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-02-2021, 05:09 PM

Oh, I like that!

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 04-02-2021, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
Leave it to me to be the contrarian. I think when the lace touches, it looks more cohesive. With the space between the lace, it just looks like a blob of pink.
JMHO
bkay
I'm with bkay. The first picture with the sashing doesn't give enough definition to the pattern. Now, if the sashing was a different color, maybe the light of the embroidery lace, it would make the blocks stand out more.

Edited to add: And then I saw the dark pink sashing and they looked so much better, but still looked a bit dark for the lacey blocks. I do like that you can really see the lace up against the darker pink.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 04-02-2021 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-02-2021, 06:39 PM
Power Poster

Have you tried white sashing? Or sashing with a white center and narrow dark red edges?
Old 04-03-2021, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
Leave it to me to be the contrarian. I think when the lace touches, it looks more cohesive. With the space between the lace, it just looks like a blob of pink.
JMHO
bkay
this is my O, too
Old 04-03-2021, 06:02 AM

So I tried white sashing - I like this too. I may head to the LQS and see if I can find something more of a medium pink. Might live in a very small town, but we do have a decent quilt shop.

I'm getting the border finished at least. I'm putting the lace on with invisible thread and a narrow zigzag, so I'm using my embroidery machine. I have another project that needs to get done soon that has some embroidery on it, so I'm motivated to get the lace part done even if I don't get the rest done for a while.

I'm reposting the picture with the dark sashing for comparison.

Attached Thumbnails imgp5374.jpg   imgp5372.jpg