Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another Spray Baste Question

Another Spray Baste Question

I've been using 505 Temporary Adhesive spray in quilts now and then, and I always wash the completed quilt before giving it to anyone, particularly babies. More recently I've been using the same product for machine embroidery. It's great for keeping the stabilizer firmly in contact with stretchy fabric, such as a t-shirt. However, because these embroidered items are not sandwiched, after they are washed I'm able to see and feel the back where the spray was. I was dismayed to discover that the spray does not wash out as I always assumed it would. That means all the quilts that I have spray basted have gone into use with this chemical inside of them. It was only then that I noticed the product actually says you are supposed to dry clean to remove the spray! Who dry cleans quilts or t-shirts?!!!

I don't remember this from other brands of spray products and don't have any around at the moment for comparison. If you have some other brand, please check and post what they say about removal.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” ~Maya Angelou.
    One's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

I do remember hearing that. Honestly, I've never worried that much about it. With all the chemicals used in the processing of fabrics and probably batting, I never felt this was a problem for me.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    my [June] Tailor basting spray says it can be left in the quilt or laundered.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

OMG, I haved used this product for years!!! Learn something new everyday!!!!

Good to know and good thing I just spot spray my quilt layers. My large quilts are dry cleaned since they are too big for machine but not my others... Maybe I'll go back to pinning or check out QuiltnNan's product.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

I'm amazed how many people baste with 505. After making a small
    sandwich and washing it, I never wanted to use it to baste my quilts.
    I prefer to use Elmer's Washable glue. At least I know the glue will
    wash away.

For all the people who spray baste using 505, have we heard anyone with concerns after laundering?
    Not that I recall.

While I can't get inside the quilt to see if the adhesive is actually removed,
    for sure, after washing/drying the quilt feels as though it is gone.

Sure, maybe I am living in a world of ignorance, but in the bigger scheme of things,
    I'm not sure this is a huge concern .... at least to me it is not!

That is, unless and/or until someone convinces me otherwise.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-09-2019 at 04:18 PM. Reason: language
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
    I'm amazed how many people baste with 505. After making a small
    sandwich and washing it, I never wanted to use it to baste my quilts.
    I prefer to use Elmer's Washable glue. At least I know the glue will
    wash away.
    I want to use Elmer's glue for basting. Is there a tut somewhere on how you mix it up? What are the portions of water - glue? And do you use a regular spray bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    For all the people who spray baste using 505, have we heard anyone with concerns after laundering?
    Not that I recall.

Sure, maybe I am living in a world of ignorance, but in the bigger scheme of things,

Oh boy. Why did I open that can of worms? LOL

There are several reasons why I don't use 505. When I made that
    sample with white fabric I could see the glue still in there after
    washing. Maybe I did something wrong but I stayed away afterwards.
    I also don't like the fumes. To each his/her own.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
    I want to use Elmer's glue for basting. Is there a tut somewhere on how you mix it up? What are the portions of water - glue? And do you use a regular spray bottle.
    Here are a few tutorials. Remember there are no rules. You just have to try until you
    find what works for you. I prefer to use clamps when basting my quilts.
    If you have any questions, don't hesitate.

About diluting the glue...you will have to experiment. I think the longer the glue
    sits on the shelf, the thicker it gets. Some use it pure strength. I like to add
    a bit of water (maybe 3 parts glue, 1 part water). But I've diluted it a lot more
    when I was running out of glue and it still works.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
    Oh boy. Why did I open that can of worms? LOL

There are several reasons why I don't use 505. When I made that
    sample with white fabric I could see the glue still in there after
    washing. Maybe I did something wrong but I stayed away afterwards.
    I also don't like the fumes. To each his/her own.
    Not to worry, EasyPeezy ... cans of worms can be good ...
    And as you said, to each his/her own!

Hearing what others experiences are, are important, and always important food for thought.
    Our own experiences are the most important. We can weigh what is right, wrong and best for us.
    And from all, we make our decisions as to what is right and works best for ourselves.
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

OK, my desire to explore kicked in and I went to the source of all knowledge, the internet. I use a basting product "SpraynBond" available at JoAnn's, Amazon, Walmart etc., and it clearly says that it washes out of fabric. I also found an article about two spray basting products and using school glue. https://growyourownclothes.com/2015/09/07/does-temporary-basting-spray-wash-out/

For machine EMB projects, I use a very light spray of Sulky KK2000 if needed. I don't spray the whole project, just enough to hold in place. It is temporary and can be removed by ironing the item.

A while ago my 5 year old granddaughter wanted a quilt for her dolly. I grabbed some scraps, including some offcuts of batting trimmed from the edges of quilts I had made and I made a quick little quilt. My granddaughter loved it and liked to sleep with it on her pillow until one day her mother noticed a weird chemical smell in her daughters' hair one morning. I never thought to wash the batting...had forgotten it may have had spray baste on it. As she is a "hot" sleeper, her scalp sweated through the little quilt and picked up the remnants of glue baste still on the batting. Totally my mistake for not thinking to wash the batting first I know. I still feel so cross with myself that I haven't used the spray baste since. I'm too worried I may not wash the quilt thoroughly enough to get rid of all the spray baste after it is completed and a similar thing happen again.

What I currently have is Tailor's Quilt Basting Spray, which I probably bought at Hobby Lobby. It says it works with cotton or polyester batting, and to spray on batting. Amazingly, it does not have any information as to whether it washes out or not! It says it's manufactured in France.

It seems irresponsible not to say whether or not it washes out so not sure I'll buy it again. I'll consult the website and see if more information is available there.

I do love the convenience of spray basting but I worry about the fumes.....and the fallout or over spray on furniture and floor annoys me. If I could do this outside or in a huge well ventilated space, I would, but I don't have that luxury......or equipment. I've used Elmer's straight out of the bottle but don't like the trails and clumps of glue. I may try another method of applying it. Darn, but these aerosol cans of glue are so much easier!

I have Dritz spray. It doesn't say anything about removal on the can.

I used June Tailor when I was volunteering. It was nearly impossible to get off the tables. It didn't dissolve with soap and water, clorox wipes or Windex. We had to use acetone to get it off the tables. I would not use it again.

bkay
    Last edited by bkay; 04-10-2019 at 07:01 AM. Reason: grammar

I agree with QuiltE in post #7 completely. I love 505 and will continue to use it. As far as "Dry Clean", 99% of clothing I have that says this I launder myself and the items are just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    my [June] Tailor basting spray says it can be left in the quilt or laundered.
    I just read on Amazon, which sells the Tailor Quilt Basting Spray, that if used on cotton, it's washable; if on polyester, it may, perhaps, need to be dry cleaned. My question is does that include polyester batting? Because I often use Mountain Mist polyester batting.

You know, the amount of 505 I use on a quilt is very slight. You don't need much to keep the three layers together and aligned. I have used it for years and never had an issue.

What bothers me is that there are probably no studies even showing that Elmer's washes out. Many quilts are washed on delicate and then dried. My own are agitated manually, ala Harriet Hargrave, then rinsed and spun a few times on low speed. How can we know that when the glue washes out of the top, it isn't still in the batting?

charlotte

Quote Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post
    What bothers me is that there are probably no studies even showing that Elmer's washes out. Many quilts are washed on delicate and then dried. My own are agitated manually, ala Harriet Hargrave, then rinsed and spun a few times on low speed. How can we know that when the glue washes out of the top, it isn't still in the batting?

charlotte
    the way I tested it was to make a sandwich of scraps and not bind and then wash it in a laundry bag and in my experiment it washed out. Sometimes in my quilts there is a stiff part where I got a little too ambitious with the glue once it dries it doesn’t affect the quilting process. Those quilts I give a little presoak and the glob disappears. Maybe others have different experiences.
    Alyce

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    the way I tested it was to make a sandwich of scraps and not bind and then wash it in a laundry bag and in my experiment it washed out. Sometimes in my quilts there is a stiff part where I got a little too ambitious with the glue once it dries it doesn’t affect the quilting process. Those quilts I give a little presoak and the glob disappears. Maybe others have different experiences.
    That's great to know - thanks!

charlotte, tending to overthink things

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Not that I recall.

I never knew it was still in my quilts until I saw and felt it on the inside of tshirts I had used it on - even after they had been washed a couple of times. Obviously, it's in the quilts whether we see it or not, unless you have them dry cleaned. There's no way I'd do that. I wouldn't want dry cleaning chemicals in baby quilts either. From now on I'm pinning or using spray baste that says it will launder out.

505 specifically says to use dry cleaning to remove it. I use very little of it on my embroidery projects, precisely because a little holds very well, and still it does not come out in a couple of machine washings, and I'm not babying these t-shirts. I usually would use a gentler cycle with quilts than I would with t-shirts.
    Last edited by Rose_P; 04-10-2019 at 05:39 PM.
    “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” ~Maya Angelou.
    One's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

I glue baste these days. It's really easy. I just stream a little all over the quilt. You don't have to saturate it at all.
    I suppose you could dilute it too but I haven't. I heard about it right here on the board. Elmer's Washable is good stuff and cheap.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast