Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another Vintage Singer Sewing Machine >

Another Vintage Singer Sewing Machine

Another Vintage Singer Sewing Machine

Old 10-07-2011, 06:03 AM

I have become quite fascinated with the older models of Singer Sewing Machines. I have a 66 Treadle that was my MIL's, a 1903 Singer 127 free from an estate sale, a Singer FW, A 99K like what I learned to sew on, 2 15-91's, 2 201's, one of which is a centennial that I found on CL for $10, A 301, and my latest addition is a Singer Spartan that I got on CL for $10. The lady told me she bought the Spartan at an auction because it was just so cute and she just knew someone out there would love to have it. Well, that someone was me. She didn't know a thing about sewing but just didn't want to see it thrown away. The case is not in good shape so I put it in another case temporarily. My sewing repair man called me yesterday and told me he had found a case at the Thrift Store that would fit my Spartan for $6. I told him to get it for me. The only rather newer machine that I have is the Brother CS6000i which I am happy with now that I figured out it works best using a size 11 needle. Anyway, I think I am done with purchasing sewing machines unless of course I come across a really, really, good deal. Here is a picture of this little Singer Spartan
Attached Thumbnails attachment-267391.jpe   attachment-267392.jpe  
Old 10-07-2011, 06:09 AM

Tough little machine - it's got the cute factor, too. :)
Old 10-07-2011, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

:thumbup:
Old 10-07-2011, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

Cute machine. I predict another really, really good deal will come along. And then another. And then another. And then...
Old 10-07-2011, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Blackberry
The lady told me she bought the Spartan at an auction because it was just so cute and she just knew someone out there would love to have it. Well, that someone was me. She didn't know a thing about sewing but just didn't want to see it thrown away
I have the same problem! Kind of like seeing a puppy on the side of the road and wanting to 'rescue' it! I'm gonna have to stay off Craigslist. Last week I found a working treadle for $20! I thought it was a typo..but NO...TWENTY bucks! I bought it, but I could not give them just 20...so I gave them $40 and still thought I got a steal!
Old 10-07-2011, 06:25 AM

I found a Spartan a while back and though it was lose in the case because of deteriorating braces, I fixed that. It sews an awesome straight stitch!
Old 10-07-2011, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by lfw045
I found a Spartan a while back and though it was lose in the case because of deteriorating braces, I fixed that. It sews an awesome straight stitch!
How did you fix the deteriorating braces because that is what is wrong with this case besides being a little scratched up and dirty?
Old 10-07-2011, 09:53 AM

I went to Lowes Hardware store and bought some plastic washers that were about the width of the braces that were broken and glued them to the inside of the base. I also bought some bigger metal washers to put the screw that holds the base on it to make it nice and tight......worked for me! I wish I had that machine here at my dad's because I would take pictures and show you what I did. I won't be back home until the first week in November now it looks like and if you haven't fixed it by then I will take pictures so you can see.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by lfw045
I went to Lowes Hardware store and bought some plastic washers that were about the width of the braces that were broken and glued them to the inside of the base. I also bought some bigger metal washers to put the screw that holds the base on it to make it nice and tight......worked for me! I wish I had that machine here at my dad's because I would take pictures and show you what I did. I won't be back home until the first week in November now it looks like and if you haven't fixed it by then I will take pictures so you can see.
Yes, please take some pictures because I don't exactly know what you are doing with the washers. It seems like the little extensions in the bottomof the case are broken off or disintagrating, so I need some way to make more of these brackets.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Power Poster

Nice machine