Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: antique store find

antique store find

Hello - I found this hand stitched quilt and am curious if anyone has an idea of when it was finished or can tell me anything about it - Iíve figured itís an Irish chain but thatís all I know. Iím not a textile expert but the small squares to me look like a mish mash of 1930s to at least 1950s. It was pretty yellowed on the top and luckily got most of it out. Looks unused. Havenít been able to find a signature. Donít mind the mess, we are in the process of moving. Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images

No idea, but that's a great find!

No expert here, but fabric looks like 70’s or 80’s to me.

What a great find! I don't think it is as old as 30's. With that puffy batting, I think it's 70's or 80's too. Maybe it was made from older cotton clothing. Wish I could get that lucky to find a wonderful quilt. Great rescue.

Blog Entries
    I can't help with dating it either. But, it is a gorgeous find. Nice rescue. Good luck on your move.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

Power Poster
    That is a nice quilt!

Wow! That is quite a find! No idea of the date either. It is very bright colors and reminds me of the fabric when I started quilting in the 70's. It would start to yellow if it was stored in plastic. I am afars I would open a small area and see the batting. If it's fluffy poly then definitely not before the 70's. It appears to me someone made this for someone that either didn't care for pieced quilts or was always saving it for a special occurrence. Or as my grandmother would say, 'Saving it for good." So it would be nice when it is needed. But the sad part is, there was never a special enough person/reason to use it.

Two years ago my DH and I made a 5 week trip traveling around west of the Mississippi visiting family and friends. I made kitchen towels for everyone (because it was something everyone needs sometime and I had no idea what their homes were like.) Everyone said they were too pretty to use. But I stressed they did need to be used. I can always make more.
    Last edited by quiltingcandy; 04-25-2019 at 11:59 AM.

Lucky you! I side with the others on the board that the quilt is much more recent than the 1930's. You scored a great find.

Wow! What a great find!! And, I agree, quilts need to be loved, and used, and enjoyed!

That is a great find! And a wonderful rescue! How in the world did someone not care enough about it or who made it. I'm glad you are taking care of it. No idea about the year.
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    Does the backing fabric give any clue?

what a find!
    love it!

I agree with others. Between the puffy batting and types of prints on the fabrics, I think the date of this quilt is more like 70's than 30's. Very nice quilt. Enjoy!
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Isn't it wonderful it found it's way to a loving home. You found a wonderful quilt to enjoy. How lucky.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Super find. Sew glad it found its forever home. Thank you for saving it. Don't know anything about the date of the quilt but it's a beauty. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

Blog Entries
    I agree it is probably 70ís or 80ís because of the puffy batting and that fabric doesnít have a 30ís look. The quilt is beautifully done and a real treasure. I would be very proud of it if it was in my collection. The hand quilting is beautiful and I love the hearts on the border. I wonder if it was a wedding gift. So sad to see it just given to a thrift store but wonderful it has been rescued!
    Last edited by luvstoquilt; 04-26-2019 at 04:31 AM.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

You found that beauty in a thrift store? Wow!
    I agree the fabrics look like 70's and 80's.
    It's a Triple Irish Chain.

I'm glad you found the quilt and I'm sure it will have a good home, but my heart hurts thinking that this quilt ended up in an antique shop. No family or friends to appreciate the thought and handwork that went into the quilt? Very sad.

I spotted 3 fabrics that I had in the 80's. You are a lucky lady!

All I know for sure is that it is gorgeous. Quilting too.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

What a gorgeous find! Can't help with the rest of it.
    Some people know how to put a blessing into any situation!

One more agreeing with the 70's - 80's. The puffy batting and then the hearts in the border and in the white blocks reminded me of all the hearts and geese that were popular at that time in clothes, interior design and in crafts. Your find is a little piece of history that isn't super "old" but it will be and it looks to be in perfect condition as it ages gracefully in your care.

Quote Originally Posted by tranum View Post
    No expert here, but fabric looks like 70ís or 80ís to me.
    Yep, I recognize some of the prints from the 1980's. The colonial blue with the orange flowers, and a few others.

Always a good find to get a hand quilted full size quilt in such good condition, and so pretty!! I love scrappies.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
    Wow! That is quite a find! No idea of the date either. It is very bright colors and reminds me of the fabric when I started quilting in the 70's. It would start to yellow if it was stored in plastic. I am afars I would open a small area and see the batting. If it's fluffy poly then definitely not before the 70's. It appears to me someone made this for someone that either didn't care for pieced quilts or was always saving it for a special occurrence. Or as my grandmother would say, 'Saving it for good." So it would be nice when it is needed. But the sad part is, there was never a special enough person/reason to use it.

Two years ago my DH and I made a 5 week trip traveling around west of the Mississippi visiting family and friends. I made kitchen towels for everyone (because it was something everyone needs sometime and I had no idea what their homes were like.) Everyone said they were too pretty to use. But I stressed they did need to be used. I can always make more.
    I would love to see a picture of your gifted kitchen towels. Thanks Karen

I love the small calico prints from the '70s and '80s. I have some scraps that I have found in thrift stores. Such a pretty quilt!
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

This is a beautiful find and I'm glad you found it so you can give it the love and care this treasure deserves.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast