Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I must be doing something wrong -

Power Poster

I must be doing something wrong -

I have had fabric shrink and fabric bleed.

I have bought fabric (at LQS) that had flaws that I missed.

How do some people never ever have any of those problems?

Ya got me, because I have had all those things happen too. One piece of fabric shrank so bad it was destorted and bled like crazy.

I think we all have had a piece of fabric that does have some sort of flaw in it. Just the other day a friend showed me 2 pieces of fabric that had a light area going down the fold side. It looked like it was in the LQS window and got faded by the sun. She called the LQS and they told her to send it back with receipt and they would give her credit. So it does happen.

I quilt on the edge. LOL
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I work in a LQS, and we see it occasionally. But not that often. There have been a couple lines of fabric that came with an information page, telling us to inform our customers that the fabric was likely to bleed. Gee's Bend hand dye was one. And we have a 54" wide chambray collection that we warn the customers about.

If I'm measuring out yardage, I try to spot any imperfections, and point them out to the customer. If we find anything, we can give them 30% off, or cut a new piece. It's not a happy day when an imperfection is smack dab in the center of a big piece! But sometimes we can work around it.

Woven (yarn dyed or homespun) fabrics have imperfections. It's just a fact that we have to live with. It's what gives it character.

Some white on white fabrics have bits of other colored threads in them occasionally. It's like other fabric lint was in the air when the WOW was being woven, and it got woven in. Sometimes they can be picked out. Those fabrics are a lower price for that reason.
    Annette in Utah

Lots of my fabric was bought at thrift shops and I found many imperfections, but I guess that's why they ending up at thrift shops in the first place. I just cut the pieces I need avoiding the bad spots. If I bought fabric at a regular price in a LQS, I'd yell and return it in a minute!!

I never wash without a color catcher. Sometimes I throw two in just to be sure.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post

How do some people never ever have any of those problems?
    I don't know that they never have any of the problems you listed, I just think they never admit it!

Reminds me of the time when I was a teen and I went to my mom's office. Everyone there was over-the-top nice and kept telling me what a wonderful, polite, bright, sweet person I was. I made a comment later about it to my mom and she told me they all thought that because she never, ever once complained about me or my brothers, while everyone else shared their struggles with their kids. So they all thought we were nearly perfect (which, of course we weren't!) That taught me a lesson.

If you give away a quilt and the fabrics run when it's washed, you don't usually find out about it. I think that's part of why some people can say they've never had a problem.

When I give a quilt as a gift I always give a box of color catcher with it with washing instructions.

I have no clue, except what dunster mentioned--that the giver never finds out from the recipient that colors ran when they washed a gift quilt.

I once asked a LQS owner how she always sewed the store samples and even her personal quilts without ever washing first but never had a problem. I would be scared silly to make a whole quilt . She said she doesn't have time to wash and iron fabric for the store samples (I understand that but still cringe), and if she were to wash them she'd used color catchers. But once a color like red bleeds onto white , color catchers aren't gonna catch the excess. I just scratch my head at the phrase 'I've never had a problem." I wonder if the person has used any color darker than beige. ?

No clue. I've had all those problems plus some you didn't mention.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I don't know either, but I'm right there with you!! I always wash, and I have had lots of bleeders, and shrinkers too. I discovered a flaw in my current project while quilting it, but decided to leave it. it's small, and I figure that if it took me this long to see it, others might not see it!!

My LQS owner told me you don't have to wash quality quilting fabric but I wash it anyway. I don't seem to see much bleeding these days with those good fabrics. But, I do see a slug now and then or a snag in the weaving process. I, too, would be pretty upset if I paid full price for a piece of fabric and it was sun faded. That would go back in a second.
    --- Jean

jdquilts123.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    If you give away a quilt and the fabrics run when it's washed, you don't usually find out about it. I think that's part of why some people can say they've never had a problem.
    . I always wash my finished quilts and put them in the dryer because that’s what I want the recipients to be able to do. Plus they always look different after that process and I don’t want them to think they did something wrong. I am not a prewasher but have been known to snip off a piece of a suspected bleeder to test it.
    Alyce

Luckily, I have never had fabric bleed. I usually make queen size quilts, and I buy my fabric at LQS and wash with 3 color catchers to make sure all is okay before I gift them. Just this past week, I was making metallic/neutral placemats and pre-washed my fabric (which I never do but did not want any lumps or shrinkage in my placemats) and had one piece lose its metallic, which made it useless after that. It was the Moda grunge that has the metallic stars on them. I called LQS, and they are going to tell their customers and issue a refund to me.

With using color catchers, It seems many fabrics will release excess dye. What is interesting to me is that not all fabric will absorb excess die.

I had one quilt with a navy print that bled, and I washed it several times. And it bled again when washed after quilting. The other colors were pink/red with white prints. Some of them turned a bit blue, and many of them stayed bright. And yes, I used color catchers. My son took the quilt, he liked that the pinks were toned to blue.

But that was only the second of about 100 quilts that I had problems with - so only two fabrics that caused problems in completed quilts.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
    My LQS owner told me you don't have to wash quality quilting fabric but I wash it anyway. I don't seem to see much bleeding these days with those good fabrics. But, I do see a slug now and then or a snag in the weaving process. I, too, would be pretty upset if I paid full price for a piece of fabric and it was sun faded. That would go back in a second.
    Guess I've been buying "inferior" fabric lines - Michael Miller, Kaufmann, Hoffman, Benartex, Jinny Beyer (but I think she has gone with different manufacturers over the years) - etc.
    A few other lines that I have forgotten.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BSKTLOFR-QUILTER View Post
    When I give a quilt as a gift I always give a box of color catcher with it with washing instructions.
    That’s a splendid idea...I think I’ll start doing the same thing.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

as a non-quilter, if I got a quilt with a box of color catchers I'd probably put it in the closet rather than use it, get it soiled, and have to wash it.

I have a red and white quilt that I have washed probably 30 or 40 times, and one of the reds still bleeds. I use a color catcher every time I wash it and the color catcher always comes out pink. This fabric was all prewashed. I is just a part of this quilt.

When I started quilting (about 4 years ago) I had no idea that it could be a problem and had no one advising me and took no classes. My first quilt was red and cream. At the flimsy stage I thought if I washed it I could square it up better. As a beginner my seams were a little inconsistent. What a shock I had. I had a number of bleeders, the worst offender was one of the first I purchased and one of the most expensive, all fabrics were bought at quilt stores. Some pieces - log cabin 1 1/2" strips - were so bad that I took out the whole block and in others I replaced the strip . I tried washing one or two more times. It is only this winter that I have actually gotten it finished. P-BurgKay I hope that I don't have the same story to tell in my future.

I guess some have better luck than me. That is why I always check and wash before I do anything else as I have had all those problems.

I think the more expensive fabrics have more dye. I don't buy from LQS and not as many problems.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I had a deep red Moda fabric bleed and bleed and bleed...no matter what I did. Finally, I took it back the my LQS. They said the dye was never "set" in the fabric and it would continue to bleed. They sent it back to Moda. I received replacement fabric plus more.... I was taking a block of the month from my LQS. They cut all the pieces. I was starching my block and all of the purple fabric bled into the white squares. They did not prewash. When I told the store owner she said, don't mention it to anyone else. What?....she did not replace the purple fabric. It was a BOM, where we had to show our finished block to get the next package....when I showed her the bleed....she said..sometimes that happens. Done with that store.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast