Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I must be doing something wrong - >

I must be doing something wrong -

I must be doing something wrong -

Old 04-26-2019, 07:45 AM

I have a red and white quilt that I have washed probably 30 or 40 times, and one of the reds still bleeds. I use a color catcher every time I wash it and the color catcher always comes out pink. This fabric was all prewashed. I is just a part of this quilt.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:29 AM

When I started quilting (about 4 years ago) I had no idea that it could be a problem and had no one advising me and took no classes. My first quilt was red and cream. At the flimsy stage I thought if I washed it I could square it up better. As a beginner my seams were a little inconsistent. What a shock I had. I had a number of bleeders, the worst offender was one of the first I purchased and one of the most expensive, all fabrics were bought at quilt stores. Some pieces - log cabin 1 1/2" strips - were so bad that I took out the whole block and in others I replaced the strip . I tried washing one or two more times. It is only this winter that I have actually gotten it finished. P-BurgKay I hope that I don't have the same story to tell in my future.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:56 AM

I guess some have better luck than me. That is why I always check and wash before I do anything else as I have had all those problems.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

I think the more expensive fabrics have more dye. I don't buy from LQS and not as many problems.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:16 AM

I had a deep red Moda fabric bleed and bleed and bleed...no matter what I did. Finally, I took it back the my LQS. They said the dye was never "set" in the fabric and it would continue to bleed. They sent it back to Moda. I received replacement fabric plus more.... I was taking a block of the month from my LQS. They cut all the pieces. I was starching my block and all of the purple fabric bled into the white squares. They did not prewash. When I told the store owner she said, don't mention it to anyone else. What?....she did not replace the purple fabric. It was a BOM, where we had to show our finished block to get the next package....when I showed her the bleed....she said..sometimes that happens. Done with that store.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
I had a deep red Moda fabric bleed and bleed and bleed...no matter what I did. Finally, I took it back the my LQS. They said the dye was never "set" in the fabric and it would continue to bleed. They sent it back to Moda. I received replacement fabric plus more.... I was taking a block of the month from my LQS. They cut all the pieces. I was starching my block and all of the purple fabric bled into the white squares. They did not prewash. When I told the store owner she said, don't mention it to anyone else. What?....she did not replace the purple fabric. It was a BOM, where we had to show our finished block to get the next package....when I showed her the bleed....she said..sometimes that happens. Done with that store.
Did these incidents happen with/at the same store? or two different ones?
Old 04-27-2019, 06:27 AM

Since I work mainly from scraps, I don't prewash. Most of our quilts were sold over the years and our name is on each one. And it's a very unusual name, too - any one with that name is a relative. So if someone had a problem, they could find us to complain, but no one ever did. I often wonder where all those quilts are and how they are doing. I was at a rummage sale in the next town on Thursday and recognized a couple of potholders I had made!!.

The one big problem I have nightmares about but never happened, is finding out after quilting that the backing is wrong side out.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:15 AM

I want the fabric to shrink up after quilting, it's the crinkly look I am after.

I've been lucky with bleeding, maybe - but if a piece concerns me, I'll do the water in a white bowl, wipe with a white cloth test. I've had one burgundy Moda that was a runner.

Have never found a slub after purchase; I have had a clerk remark while cutting that she didn't think it was right and pushed that aside and started over. My guess is that those end up cut to fat quarters.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:32 PM

I was surprised to find out how many flaws per yard are permissible in fabric that is sold as first quality (not seconds). If I was in charge, it would be zero!! Always pays to look over the fabric, both sides, carefully, before you pay for it.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:28 PM

I rarely pre-wash--I rub a white paper hard on any fabric that is a deep color (darks, batiks, etc) and if any color shows then it does get pre-washed, otherwise it's not prewashed. I like the fabric to have some sizing when I cut and sew it. I do attach wash/dry instructions to all quilts that I gift--and part of that includes throwing in a couple of color catchers--which I do every time I wash a quilt. The one exception is with a child's quilt, which I do wash out.

I know others will saw that's gross that it's not washed before gifting--but when we buy a bed spread, does it get washed first?