Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Antiques Roadshow Crazy Quilt

Antiques Roadshow Crazy Quilt

Antiques Roadshow was on here last night, and they did an appraisal of a stunning Victorian crazy quilt. Thought everyone here would enjoy seeing it, too. You can watch the video on the PBS website. Here's the link: http://video.pbs.org/video/2200752386/
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-28-2012 at 07:31 AM.
    Jenel Looney
    Assistant to Susan Mallery
    New York Times bestselling author

I saw that! We were watching the past three weeks, since it was in Pittsburgh (near us).

I love that quilt! My MIL has a crazy quilt that her mother made, and I would love to get my hands on it.....

WOW what a beautiful quilt and its in great condition considering how old it is.

Thanks for the video. You sure are good with computers. I have no idea how to download a video.

LOL! I spend my life on the computer! I'm a virtual assistant... but I really exist!

There's a thing called "embed" that you can do with YouTube videos and, it turns out, PBS videos. They have a little symbol on there that looks like this: <> When you see that, you can click it, copy the code (otherwise known as gobbledygook), and then paste it into a new message here on the Quilting Board.
    Jenel Looney
    Assistant to Susan Mallery
    New York Times bestselling author

Beautiful quilt, thanks for sharing this with us.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

That quilt was beautiful. I cringed when she began touching it with bare hands. Did anyone else notice that?
    Sue

a small village about 65 miles north of NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie View Post
    That quilt was beautiful. I cringed when she began touching it with bare hands. Did anyone else notice that?
    Sue
    I'm not sure she touched it, perhaps when she was pointing to the calla lily but definitely not any other time - the quilt is absolutely gorgeous, I loved watching it last night too.
    He who cuts his own wood is warmed twice, but she who makes her own quilt is warmed forever - SLR 11/7/2011

Thanks for sharing. Love the quilt. Personally, I think it should be worth more than what they state. The hours that must have done into that quilt.

Us quilting artists are so under appreciated!

Beautiful & what a treasure to own!

Blog Entries
    I personally think it should be worth more, look at the condition. I also don't think what she said about the low value of other quilts is true.
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

Blog Entries
    I watched this last night too, and what she said about the value made sense. EVERYONE made/had a crazy quilt, and there really are lots of them out there....
    This one tho, is so different than the norm!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Yes, I saw it too. That quilt was absolutely gorgeous. Even my husband commented on how beautiful it was with all the bright colors. The quilt is truly a work of art and a treasure for that family.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...B5F8C60F07.png
    There is no snooze button on a hungry cat!

I am amazed at what these people price these quilts. Do they not understand the hours and amount of work that go into them. I guess I should not be surprised when they prize the perfect unloved doll more than the loved ones. That quilt last night has inspired me to start one of my own. Oh boy, another ongoing project.

I saw that too! Wasn't the quilt exquisite? Did you hear them say that the person who quilted it died in her 20's? Such talent at such a young age. The appraiser said that such a quilt would ordinarily fetch a evaluation of only $300.00, but because this was so unusually well done it got a price of a couple of thousand. Well ladies, I guess all of our hard work in making quilts is only worth millions to us and to those we gift them to! Ahhhhh Wellllll.

thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Mickie612 View Post
    I am amazed at what these people price these quilts. Do they not understand the hours and amount of work that go into them. I guess I should not be surprised when they prize the perfect unloved doll more than the loved ones. That quilt last night has inspired me to start one of my own. Oh boy, another ongoing project.
    They are just going by market value. They have a lot of experience with sales and auctions of similar items and know what buyers will pay. How much time and work go into something mean nothing. How else can you explain people paying millions for a "sketch" by a famous artist?

Blog Entries
    I saw the quilt here in Dallas . It is gorgeous! A lot of money too. that was a work of art.

Thanks for sharing.
    What I make with my hands, I give with my heart.

I suspect that if that quilt were put up in an auction at a quilt show, it would go for a lot more than that.
    If laughter is the best medicine, I prescribe a Dachshund or four.

That really is a beautiful one. I can only imagine what it might look like "in person"
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

That quilt is stunning! The stitches and the embellishments were just beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing. I hope the family keeps it and it's not sold by someone who doesn't appreciate it. That would certainly be a shame.
    Kim

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

Quick, turn on my machine. I have to get one of these done. :-) A beautiful work of art. Thanks for showing us.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie View Post
    Sue
    why would you cringe...that whole quilt was done by HAND.It was meant to be a decoration, but still touched! Besides, I am sure it has seen worse!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    we watched it as well that night. Sure was fabulous. ALL that work! Amazing the time and artistry that went into it!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast