Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
any advice for teaching >

any advice for teaching

any advice for teaching

Old 02-12-2011, 02:55 PM

patience, patience, patience
Old 02-12-2011, 03:10 PM

That will be fun. Teaching accurate cutting and 1/4 inch seams are most important. If she knows her way around a sewing machine, it shouldn't be too hard. Having a sewing buddy is fun.
Sue
Old 02-12-2011, 03:12 PM

There are 3 thing to master to have your quilts be accurate.
1. cutting accurately, 2. sewing accurately 3. pressing correctly. I do teach this in my classes. In my beginning classes I remind myself just because I know what a common quilting term means someone who is just starting to quilt (even if they have sewn alot) might not know the term, be sure to explain. Hope this helps. Have fun.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:51 PM

Crack open a bottle of wine, it will help ease the tension.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:05 PM

Working with her side by side sounds like fun, but before you start, make the 1st lesson about cutting, sewing straight 1/4" seams, and introducing her to tools of the trade.

Have fun.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Theresa
Has your friend sewn before? Does she/he know how to use the sewing machine comfortably? Knowing this for starters may help you know where to start with your information. Have fun! I loved sharing with my good buddy and daughter!
That was my first question. If your friend has sewn anything, she'll do just fine. Don't let the word "quilt" scare you or her.

You might even consider getting trial blocks for her to put together also..then make a mug rug with batting, batting, X quilting and binding! Then voila...she's made a quilted "something".... next step...QFK kit!
Go for it.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:55 AM

I can relate-I agreed to teach a couple of local (native) ladies in Vanuatu a couple years ago, not realizing they have never used a sewing machine! We made a VERY simple 4-patch lap quilt, and it took 6 full days to get to the BASTING stage. I also had to teach them math (they learned only metric in school, and how to use a sewing machine. One also had never used an iron before. But, we got thru it with TONS of laughter, and as I have the patience of a Saint when quilting, I felt so good when BOTH ladies informed me they enjoyed it so much, they actually wanted to buy a machine and rotary mat and cutter and continue! One of the days we had a lady from Australia come and teach us to dye our own fabric, so we started to make a quilt from that fabric for charity. I recently pieced it and hand-quilted it and posted it on the board last week. Unfortunately, one of the ladies passed away last year, so I named the quilt after her. I got alot of pleasure seeing their enthusiasm, and the fact I had never taught before didn't make a bit of difference. No matter what experience, if any, your ladies have had with sewing, it will still be easier than what I went thru, but if they are even half as enthusiastic as my ladies were, it will be all worth it-plus you'll have more quilting buddies!! Good luck!
Old 02-13-2011, 12:02 PM

If she dosen't have the quarter inch quilting foot have her get one and that will help her out. Have her practice on scrap material first to get use to sewing if she hasn't sewen before
Old 02-13-2011, 04:11 PM

Make sure she knows that mistakes are not the end of the world. Most can be easily fixed and if not use it as a learning tool. Good luck. I love teaching quilting only I call it sharing my knowledge.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:50 PM

Have fun - do one step at a time