Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
any ideas for a patriotic quilt >

any ideas for a patriotic quilt

any ideas for a patriotic quilt

Old 03-07-2014, 08:18 PM

Default any ideas for a patriotic quilt

I have been approached to make a quilt for a co-worker of my husbands, who wants a quilt for his wife. This man says his wife loves anything patriotic, he spoke of something like a flag. This is so normal ,does anyone have any thoughts on a pattern that can be made with red white and blue fabric (with flowers ,writing ect.) that would be unusual? I have saw beautiful fabric the quilt guild in my area have used to make the quilts for vets.I do not want d9p or 4p so any help will be greatly appreciated.I have also looked on quilters cache.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:32 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Check these images out.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...66.-eQzSgaoW9k

Jan in VA
Old 03-07-2014, 08:49 PM

Default Patriotic patterns

Google "Quilted In Honor". There are several free patriotic quilt patterns available for download. I especially like Kay Wright-Handy's Stars of Honor quilt. I plan on making this for my son. I'm not sure what d9p or 4p means so this may not be what you are looking for.

http://www.islandbatik.com/free-patterns/

Last edited by kel_jh; 03-07-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:33 PM

I just made a chevron quilt top with white fabric and a single red, white and blue fabric. It was quick and easy, and looks great. Haven't take a picture of it yet or I would post it - it's in the garage and it's too cold for me to go out there now. I'll try to remember to post it tomorrow.

The r,w,b fabric was a stripe, so it gave the quilt a kind of scrappy look without being scrappy.

Here's a link to a tutorial that shows the method I used to make the 1/4 square triangles. I used 9-7/8th inch squares which made a large enough 1.4 square triangle to make the quilt go together quickly.

pipersgirls.wordpress.com/2013/03/27/quick-tips-tools-four-at-a-time-half-square-triangles/
Old 03-08-2014, 06:43 AM

if you go to the bottom of this page & click on "view tag cloud" & scroll down, there is a "patriotic quilt'" section of them from here on the board---just discovered this by accident!!!
Old 03-08-2014, 07:01 AM

http://bomquilts.com/Free-Quilts-of-Valor-Patterns.php
Old 03-08-2014, 07:28 AM

I am so glad you posted. I too did not know about this site. Guess this means a few more hours today on the 'ole computer. Thanks

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am View Post
if you go to the bottom of this page & click on "view tag cloud" & scroll down, there is a "patriotic quilt'" section of them from here on the board---just discovered this by accident!!!
Old 03-08-2014, 07:40 AM

here's another that was previously posted on the board http://freequiltpatterns.blogspot.co...-patterns.html
Old 03-08-2014, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am View Post
Yes, check into the QOV patterns. F&P is printing a pattern in every issue of Love of Quilting. Since this is the time that the PBS network does it's fundraising, you might do a search on your cable box for when the program Quilts of Valor is to be shown this weekend. Quite interesting with facts about the organization and contest on who can piece their quilt the fastest. A few of the outstanding quilt teachers will be involved in the contest.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

I love adding fabrics that have patriotic prints, like back in 1776 and such. some are lovely. scenes of people back then , the liberty bell, etc.