Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to make a quilt wall hanging >

How to make a quilt wall hanging

How to make a quilt wall hanging

Old 03-03-2014, 04:42 PM

Default How to make a quilt wall hanging

I just made this top and it would go perfect in my living room. I have never done a wall hanging, so looking for some tips on how best to do it
Binding - maybe just a dark gray binding that is wider than standard to create a frame?
I know to make a hanging sleeve on the back, is there some hardware that is typically used, or just curtain hanging stuff?
Also, don't think I want it wrinkly, so thinking I should use a very thin poly batting?
The size of the top is approx 40x48
I would appreciate any help to make this look like it belongs on the wall[ATTACH=CONFIG]465556[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails wall-quilt.jpg  
Old 03-03-2014, 04:49 PM

I don't have any suggestions but love the look of it! It really draws your eyes.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:55 PM

Very striking wall hanging. If you use a curtain rod with pretty finials, it will look very much like it belongs on the wall. Your idea of an extra binding is good or you could do a thin grey border. Sometimes I add long ribbons and small tassels at each side like tapestries are hung.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:57 PM

That is very striking! And the matching points looks perfect. Definitely a border to frame it, like a picture. The dark gray could work, but my first thought was a darker brown. I use Hobbs 80/20 and it's a nice weight for wallhangings, not puffy. If you don't wash it (I don't wash my wallhangings), it will stay fairly flat? I have no advice on hanging it as I lazily just use clear push pins!
Old 03-03-2014, 05:07 PM

I like the narrow grey binding idea-love the quilt pattern too!! A thin batting like warm and white is what I use and don't wash wall hangings to avoid the natural crinkling from washing.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:27 PM
RST

I wouldn't add a border -- just a nice solid binding-- a grey would be nice.

If you use drapery rod hardware, it will stand out from the wall -- which is fine if that's what you want. Alternatively, you can use a piece of flat trim molding from the hardware store (often pre-painted) and run that inside your hanging sleeve. The trim piece can either rest on small picture hooks, or you can use fine nails through holes in the trim. This gives you a wall hanging that lies flush against the wall.

Consider putting hanging sleeve on either end, so that you can rotate the quilt and avoid having it warp or have sun exposure in only certain areas.

As for batting -- I think it's good to do trials with your intended batting and the actual fabric scraps. It's a great opportunity to practice your quilting ideas. Then wash the samples and see which one holds up best. Use your samples for throw pillows, coasters, table runners, pet bed -- whatever would be handy to coordinate in the room where you're hanging this.

I think it will look great -- post photos so we can see it in place!
Old 03-03-2014, 05:51 PM
Power Poster

Wow! I have never seen a top lay so perfectly straight and flat. You are a fantastic piecer. And the colors are beautifully chosen too.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:24 PM

That is a beautiful quilt. I'd ask you what colors are in the room where it will hang. Then I'd let the room decide which binding to use. You want to have something that would help you focus on the quilt.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:28 PM

What is the material? For some reason, it looks like wool or ultra suede. It has a brushed look to it. Maybe it's just my tired eyes which are ready for bed!
Old 03-03-2014, 08:28 PM

BTW, I love the quilt. Great job!