Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any ideas for small hand work to do... >

Any ideas for small hand work to do...

Any ideas for small hand work to do...

Old 05-05-2011, 03:19 PM

If counted cross stitch isn't your thing, I'd also highly recommend EPP. I did a tumbling block quilt for my niece this way. Extremely portable. I made my templates from old file folders as they were sturdy and no cost. It was a baby quilt at the time so not too large to lug around. But you could make up 'kits' with several 'rows' worth of fabric and a baggie full of templates and go to town. It's really easy. I love handwork of all types because it is so theraputic for me.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:22 PM

I do everything by hand, and I've infiltrated a couple of knitting groups with quilting. Here is what works for me. It's completely subjective, what doesn't work for me will be favourite for someone else.

1. I don't like EPP, I find that it's pointlessly slow and I'm much happier drawing my sewing lines straight onto the fabric, or making freezer paper templates if I'm using uneven shapes. I don't like whip-stitching either. Other people love it and find that they can whip-stitch faster than they can sew running stitch.

2. With the vast majority of my piecing, I press the seam straight after sewing it. You can't do this when you're out. Finger-pressing works for some people, but I find that it leads to inaccuracy for me.

3. There are a few shapes where you don't need to press as you go. I made a scrappy quilt out of lots of 30 degree diamonds, which I sewed into strips, and then I sewed the strips together. I didn't press the seams until I'd decided which strips went where and which way around they'd go. So this was relatively portable, I would decide on the order for a strip set and put it into a little sandwich bag, together with pincushion, needles, thread, scissors, a small plastic bowl to use as a bin, and an A4 cutting mat so that I had something to pin against. Still not the most perfect thing in terms of portability, there was pinning and sewing and I really needed a bit of table space to work at, at least for the pinning.

4. Quilting, on the other hand, requires much less Stuff, in my opinion. Though you're likely to be dealing with a bigger item, unless you deliberately choose a small quilt. On the other hand, it's all put together and secure, you just need your quilt, frame/hoop if you use one, and a small box containing needles, thread, scissors, and the aforementioned bin. You generally want to make sure the quilt is not big enough to trail on the floor, since public places rarely have a floor so clean you'd want to drag your quilt against it. Cushions are good for small projects, and an ideal size for travelling with.

Jinny Beyer is a professional quilter who does everything by hand, and she does most of it in "found moments" such as waiting rooms. She cuts up the fabric for her blocks, then puts a block's worth into a little plastic bag together with a small kit of needles, thread, scissors (possibly thread snips). This means that she has multiple sewing kits, but the ingredients are cheap enough, and she can stash them in various bags and cars and so forth, ready to go. She gets an amazing amount of work done this way. "Quiltmaking by Hand" is the book of hers I'd recommend if you decide you are going to try hand-piecing or hand-quilting.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:25 PM

Blueteddi, love your yoyo quilt. It is so pretty.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:31 PM

You might want to do some embroidery, pillowcases or scarves. It passes the time quickly. Crochet or knitting works too. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your daughter. Hope everything goes well.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by sailsablazin
Do you knit? I have a "grab 'n go" bag with knitting in it. I make quick dish cloths....don't even really have to think about the pattern after a while and they make up fast...I have given lots away. They are a great size since they fit in your hand when you are wiping down the counters, table, etc...
I am definitely willing to share the patterns if you are interested...
I was thinking the same thing. I've been knitting them like crazy this year. Joann's has pretty variegated yarn to use, too.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by earthwalker
this reply got me researching and downloading ideas an patterns for square yoyos....Honestly, the quilters on this board are just a bunch of "enablers" :-D :-D
LOL, yes same here! :D
Old 05-05-2011, 04:17 PM

sailsablazing, I am interested in the pattern for the knitted dish cloths. Thanks in advance.

Lucy
Old 05-05-2011, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Peggy
...Had an overnight stay. Took my crochet with me to make chemo hats. All the staff was curious - including my surgeon. Even made one of the nurses a hat as she is facing chemo herself.
You are very sweet, & probably gave the staff a little warmth & joy. Bless you.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:36 PM

Embroidery is my vote. It's very portable and doesn't take up much room. Good luck with your dd and hospital stay. AM hoping all goes well with you.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by earthwalker
Originally Posted by Lindsey
You could start on a grandmothers flower garden its english paper peicing and all hand done. Prayers for your Dd..
Yes...I agree, EPP is very portable and easy. There are plenty of tutorials online and the templates can be made at home out of computer paper or scrap card. Best wishes for your daughter.
Will be thinking about you and your DD with best wishes.

I cut a bunch of my scraps into 2" squares and am using my train commuting time to do some GFG hexagons. Just a tiny ziploc bag slipped into my purse holds enough to keep me busy all week.