Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any non-sewing items that you use for quilting? >

Any non-sewing items that you use for quilting?

Any non-sewing items that you use for quilting?

Old 06-05-2011, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

bobbins fit in some bottle caps
Old 06-05-2011, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
Someone started a thread on this a few weeks ago. She was going to make a list and post it somewhere along the way. Try doing a search of topics and see if you can find it. There were some great ideas listed, among them mine using chop sticks for tube turners, stilletos, etc.
I've looked but never found a "search" on QB. Where is it?
Old 06-05-2011, 05:27 AM

cooking skewers for a stiletto. Blue painters tape for marking edges for quilting. Use binding clips to hold when binding - Now use hair clippies. Plastic zip lock bags for projects or to keep small amounts of materials together. Zipper bags from purchases to put projects in. Shaving kits work well to take small stuff to class. Thanks for the other ideas I am reading about.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:36 AM

My wife uses a boot hook (come as a pair, for pulling western boots on by the boot straps) to access the storage drawers and pulling out the tubs stored under her 8-ft folding table next to her sewing cabinet.

CD in Oklahoma

Boot Hook
[ATTACH=CONFIG]206931[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-206925.jpe  
Old 06-05-2011, 05:40 AM

I use the back seat floor mat from our Jeep on the floor under my sewing machine to hold my floor foot feed in one place. I have a cement floor in my basement where my sewing room is and my foot feed kept scooting across the floor.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:43 AM

Metal chopsticks for turning. I found that the wooden ones have rough edge that seem to catch on the fabric. I use the little plastic tubes that extra lead (for mechanical pencils) comes in for old used hand sewing needles. I also have a long cardboard tube that wrapping paper came on taped to the front edge of my sewing table. The round profile keeps my quilts from catching on the front edge. A fan with a remote control to keep the hot flashes under control when I screw something up. Yikes. Ipod on shuffle is absolutely necessary tool for sewing.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:52 AM

Great replys! My hubby quilter and I use most already. We learned two great ones in quilt quild. An eyebrow shaver/trimmer works great as a seam ripper. Three come in a package. We found ours at the Family Dollar Store for around 4.00. It looks like a mini straight razor with a handle and has a guard over the cutting edge. The other one is just the greatest: a black pen made by Pilot - the friXon ball erasable gel pen. The marks disapear with heat!!and will not return unless your project is frozen! (No more hiding your UFOs in the freezer so you can start another project!) We have only found them at Walgreens Drug Stores and a package of two is about 4.75. They can be ordered from the web but cost about the same with shipping.
Betty in Mississippi, USA
Old 06-05-2011, 05:57 AM

Wooden skewers for stiletto,magnet with a handle for picking up nails etc. at Lowes for a constrution for picking up needles and pins off the floor, lint roller for picking up threads and picking up small pieces of fabric off floor put it on a small paint roller handle then I put a paint roller long handle on that alot less bending,kids ponytail holders from dollar store for putting on bobbins. Flat metal hair clips for sewing on binding , I'm sure thers more but thats all I can think of right now.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:58 AM

I inherited from my mother a set of 3 wall mounted divided shadow boxes for storing thread. I arrange the thread roughly by color and it looks like a Mondrian picture.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:03 AM

Where do you recycle blades? Never heard of that before.