Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone out there also sew non quilting items?

Blog Entries
    Before I started quilting I was making window treatments. We just moved after I finally finished a window treatment for every window in that house. grrrr I would love to talk to those of you who have an interest in this and would have anything to share.

Blog Entries
    Sewing was my first love. I used to sew blouses for my Aunt many years ago. I sewed some clothes for my DD's when they were very tiny. And I made several summer dresses for my DGD a couple years ago. When DD was pregnant with DGS, I sewed his crib bedding--sheets, quilt, dust ruffle and diaper stacker.

I make window treatment for my home on occasion. I need to make some pillows for our couches soon.

Lots of home dec and clothing.

I have sewen just about anything

Yep!! Gonna be making some shower curtains and a valance for the downstairs bath.

Blog Entries
    I would love to make new kitchen curtains.Connie in CO

I used to make clothes for the kids when they were small....and I loved doing dollclothes.

Blog Entries
    Yes , just finish up a table runner 4 place mats in western.Pic later nx wk) Then will start on some new valances. I'm tired of the ones I have. I love to sew have tried about everything . But I love my quilts.

I've sewn things from men's western shirts to kids' clothes to drapes to Barbie doll clothes. Guess I just love to sew!

was known as the Crafty Lady for years....made my own cloths and many many crafts....:-)

I am a bridal seamstress. I used to work for a large bridal shop. I did alterations on wedding gowns and bridesmaids dresses as well as made matching flower girls dresses and miniture bridal gowns. It's a high stress job and when I left there, I worked at the LQS. I've always been sewing something.

Blog Entries
    E-Q,i have these old 10yrs,cheap thin ****make something with linings.Connie in CO

Blog Entries
    No more little girls to make Barbie outfits.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by janetter
    Before I started quilting I was making window treatments. We just moved after I finally finished a window treatment for every window in that house. grrrr I would love to talk to those of you who have an interest in this and would have anything to share.
    I love little sewing projects like totes. Snap bags. Wallets etc etc

Blog Entries
    Sue,snap bags are fun to make.Connie in CO

When my boys were small I made their jeans and sweat shirts. Now I sew for my grandchildren - quilts, costumes and anything else they need.

Blog Entries
    Hi Janette,

I do all my window treatments, years ago I purchased a good book, covers all elements of sewing curtains, from drapes to shades, valances, et.

Sunset press, Curtains, draperies & shades is the name, don't know if it's still in print, but I'm sure there is something like it. It has been my bible for years, and I have done some really difficult treatments, without this book I'm not sure they would have come out so well.

Good luck

I learned to sew on my grandmothers old tredle machine, won a new electric one in a contest when I was 12 and have sewn all my life... everything from baby clothes to wedding gowns, curtains to quilts, costumes and more. Just finished sewing a new cover for the tractor seat - looks better than the duct tape! Remember the sewing requirements for 4-H Clubs, remember Home Economics classes in school (none today and thats a pity) and remember all the fun of learning to "un-sew"?

I love any kind of sewing. I have made window treatments & curtains for 5 different houses that we have lived in & have done some for friends. I used to make a lot of clothes & still do if a special need arises.

You name it, I have probably sewn it (or tried to)Everything from clothes to upholstery and draperies, a tent for the grandkids, etc, etc........

I've been sewing for 53 years, so I've sewn a wide variety--clothes, curtains, and even car seat covers. The leather seat covers were for a friend of my DH. They wanted to sell their car and thought better looking seat covers would help. They sold the car, so hopefully the new covers helped. I made many costumes for my DS's, but the one costume I really wanted to make but they never wanted was a clown, so now I'm hoping the GC will one day want to dress up as a clown for Halloween.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Julianna
    I learned to sew on my grandmothers old tredle machine, won a new electric one in a contest when I was 12 and have sewn all my life... everything from baby clothes to wedding gowns, curtains to quilts, costumes and more. Just finished sewing a new cover for the tractor seat - looks better than the duct tape! Remember the sewing requirements for 4-H Clubs, remember Home Economics classes in school (none today and thats a pity) and remember all the fun of learning to "un-sew"?
    I do remember Home Economics Class!! And I remember how proud I was going to Easter Sunday Mass wearing the dress I made myself!! :lol: I taught my daughter to sew because our schools don't offer it anymore. It has been some time i won't give up for all the money in the world!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditter43
    You name it, I have probably sewn it (or tried to)Everything from clothes to upholstery and draperies, a tent for the grandkids, etc, etc........
    Tent....now there is something I haven't done but I did sew a sun shade for our RV. We went to the Grand Canyon and it came in VERY handy in that weather

Oh yes! I make doll clothes for my little girl's dolls. Shower curtains, window treatments, pillows, just about anything. I rarely make clothes anymore because I can find things cheaper at Goodwill or on sale. Sometimes friends give me clothes for my daughter. I have made a few things for her over the years and of course, she loves it when Mom makes clothes for her and/or her dolls.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gal288
    Hi Janette,

I do all my window treatments, years ago I purchased a good book, covers all elements of sewing curtains, from drapes to shades, valances, et.

Sunset press, Curtains, draperies & shades is the name, don't know if it's still in print, but I'm sure there is something like it. It has been my bible for years, and I have done some really difficult treatments, without this book I'm not sure they would have come out so well.

Good luck
    My Pride and Joy were the roman shades. Think I will have to get that pattern out again :lol:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast