Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How many ladies and gentlemen also sew sew?

as in making clothes and whatnot? I was in Walmart's Fabric dept today and got to looking at the pattern books. I actually bought 2! LOL
    Hopefully I can find as wonderful a board as this one for sewing!
    David

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I love to sew but not for me. I used to and never really like what I made! But I loved making little clothes for my boys.
    I also love making pillows and stuff like that :D

i sew sew

Blog Entries
    I sew far better than I quilt. I've made just about everything there is to make from wedding dresses to my son's suits, drapes to fire retardant racing suits, winter coats to bathing suits, etc. The only sewing I have to currently is a new robe for me.

I make pj pants every now and again for my kids...that's about it.

I used to love sewing for my kids. I have a hard time fitting myself though.

I make most of my own shirts--from fun cotton quilt fabrics.

Blog Entries
    I used to make clothes. Now I make dolls, doll clothes and stuffed animals. I love quilting now so I do all of them. I really don't like making clothes for little dolls 18" and under so I create my own patterns and make the clothes as a part of the doll. I hope you can find a sew sew board that is as great as this one is for quilting. :)

I sew sew, use to make all my clothes, In high school won state for a three piece wool suit, made clothes for the public.

I like to sew - mostly for the grandkids.

Blog Entries
    Started off making clothes, when I was 13. I am far better at clothes and such than I am at quilts, I can tell you that much!
    I have some pink eyelet, I bought that I am supposed to make my girls a dress out of, havn't decided on a pattern yet....

I SEW!!!, if it fits under the pressure foot and the needle goes through it, then I sew it :D :D :D

patterns at Walmart are a GREAT price! they dont fit everyone, so if you get addicted, Joannes has butterick and simplicity on sale for a buck pretty often.

have fun!

Blog Entries
    Re: sewing clothes - I can, I have, I don't much anymore. As a 4-H member I made all my own clothes in high school. My junior year I won the senior division of the County 4-H Dress Revue and competed at the Calif State 4-H Dress Revue. Didn't win but had lots of fun!

Re: home interior decor - I can, I have, I still do. Again - it all started in 4-H. Have made enough window treatments, valances, cornice boxes, drapes, bed spreads, pillows, table runners & placemats, etc to fill my quota for a lifetime lol.

Now I am in a new season of sewing & doing nothing but quilting. Well...except for the call I just got from my step-daughter asking me to shorten & hem a pair of pants for her...

I also sew, sew. I used to take my daughter shopping, sketch the clothes she liked and then go to the fabric store to make the items for her. She was tall and skinny and back then you couldn't buy pants that were long enough when they fit her waist.... or would stay up on her waist when they were long enough. Now I get to sew for my great granddaughter and I still love doing it.

I don't think putting a hem in jeans for my grandson counts as sewing. I made layetts for my children and grandchildren but that was a long time ago.My husband played in a band and I made western shirts for the band but that was all. I have never been able to fit myself. Now it is just quilting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marye
    I sew sew, use to make all my clothes, In high school won state for a three piece wool suit, made clothes for the public.
    4-H??

I used to sew sew all the time. Made all of mine and my daughter's clothes, and ever sewed for other people. Also made drapes, bedspreads, pillows, etc. Now the thought of it makes me cringe. All I wanna do is QUILT!

I used to sew everything but not so much anymore. Just finished some overalls for the youngest grandson but my daughters-in-law are high maintance and if I make the granddaughters dresses I never see them wear them so I seldom bother. My daughter only has boys but I don't enjoy making boys clothes so much

I still do some sewing, but not as much as when my kids were little. That is how I started out & I still love it!

a regular here
    I cas sew anything I want. I have made suits, dresses, blouses, slacks and even wedding dressed. Prefer to quilt though.

I sew. That's what I started with, at first on clothes for my kids when they were babies. I made custom jeans for my boys that were the envy of their friends when the uber-wide legs were first popular. I make most of my own dress clothes. It's cheaper to buy a lot of things now than to make it though.

I've done drapes, gowns, upholstery, custom gun holsters, if it can be sewn chances are I've at least tried. I have several garments and quilts going at any given time. I think it's my ADD! :)

Banned
    i make curtains, draperies and cover cushions.
    Also make the "Little Dresses and Shorts" for Africa and Hati. Is this sewing?

I tried to sew sew yesterday, boxers for my SIL. He is 6'8", he is not heavy just a large waist. Anyway. I read I did felled seams, I did this and that, put the elastic in, when I notice I have one of those important pieces up side down.
    I threw it away!

I sew clothing and also home dec as well as quilt. With clothing patterns you must also be able to "fit" or make pattern adjustments. Rarely will a pattern fit the average individual right out of the envelope. There is a whole new learning curve for you, LOL. I recommend http://sewing.patternreview.com/
    as a resource for learning to sew clothing.

I sew sew---most of my clothes and a lot of dd's. Most recently I made myself two new flannel nightgowns and LOVE them.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast