Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How many ladies and gentlemen also sew sew?

i used to...that's how i learned...never liked what I made though LOL

Sewing has been a part of my life forever. My mother for some reason would not buy me many clothes. I remember school year after school year in elementary and Junior highhaving one school outfit to wear five days a week, a sunday dress with a slip and somethingto where at home. I finally rebelled against that and when I got a job I bought fabric and made my own clothes. This was even before High School. I think I am still rebelling against that. I also sew flannel Pj's for most of my large family at christmas including brothers and sisters, nieces, nephews, in laws. I love making doll clothes. I make them for 4.5 inch dollls.

Blog Entries
    I also sew, started in gradeschool with 4-H, made a lot of clothes, won some ribbons. In Highschool, I made my prom dress. A few years later I took a job doing alterations in a bridal shop. Then went about 15 years just borrowing my Mom's machine now and then. Christmas 09, I insisted on getting a sewing machine for my present so I could sew easy clothes for my kids. then last year I picked up quilting too :)

Blog Entries
    I sew sew, started when I was 9 helping my mom, than made my younger sister's clothes,than my kids & other peoples.
    I still do some here there for other people, but I prefer to do quilts now.

Blog Entries
    I love to sew especially different types of Valance and window covers. Just about anything I go to Hancock's when they have patterns on sale usually pick up 5-10 @ 99 - 1.99 a piece.

Haven't done any "sewing sewing" in quite a while. Last time I did anything major was a couple years ago when I made Halloween costumes for my God son and I. I went as Morgan Lander of Kittie (God, the pleather was a nightmare) and he went as Link from Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (only thing I didn't actually make from scratch was his long sleeved undershirt, which even then I hand dyed because I couldn't find one in a light green).

I used to sew all my daughters clothes. Little girls dresses are such fun. The boys had superman everything at one point. Capes to curtains! Now they are all teens and homemade is no good, except for the occasional scarf and pillowcase. I do have a very nice t-shirt pattern that looks very dressy if you use a beautiful fabric that drapes well. I make those for myself now for work. What patterns did you buy?

I also sew sew. Have been sewing since I was 12. My granddaughter will soon be 12 and we have talked about me teaching her for the longest time. Maybe this year.

I also sew sew. Have been sewing since I was 12. My granddaughter will soon be 12 and we have talked about me teaching her for the longest time. Maybe this year.

I love to make sun dresses and fancy dresses for my daughter. She is 7 1/2 and very girly. She loves ruffles and bows. I also make matching dresses for her baby doll, little Clara who looks exactly like her (big Clara).

David, I have sewed for over 55yrs and lots more sewing than quilting so if I can help just ask. One time I even made a boat cover. It took up the whole room. Suzanne

fab
    I sew sew. I use to make pants, skirts and jackets for me and my daughter, however, after discovering quilting, I sew very seldom. Have two pairs of pants cut out, but that,s it.

Blog Entries
    I am a much better seamstress than a quilter. I have made a lot of really beautiful things in the past, but would rather quilt now.

Blog Entries
    I use to make my Children Clothes, and made a few items for myself. When the cabage patch dolls first came out and sold out before Christmas well I made them and made good money, even my mom and dad both ended up helping me cause I couldnt keep up on my own. LOL

Blog Entries
    I sew and have all my life

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by davidwent
    as in making clothes and whatnot? I was in Walmart's Fabric dept today and got to looking at the pattern books. I actually bought 2! LOL
    Hopefully I can find as wonderful a board as this one for sewing!
    David
    I sew, have made my own clothes since I was about 10. Of course now I wear jeans and sweatshirts, so I don't make my own clothes any more. But I have made several wedding gowns, which I also designed. I have made flower girl and bridesmaid dresses. I also do a lot of home dec sewing. With the prices of clothes in Marshalls, etc. it just doesn't make sense to sew apparel any more. I made all my kids clothes, and my grandkids layettes too.

I have done clothing construction since I was 12 or 13. I made my wedding dress, (it was the 60's so it was pretty simple) and a lot of clothes for my girls. The last dresses I made were for my granddaughters but they have reached the age of jeans and tee shirts.

I also made dust ruffles for a designer for a while.

The poor quality of the patterns has been discouraging the past few years.

My job now seems to be teaching my 10 year old granddaughter to sew. She is interested in fashion design...for the moment.;)

I also sew, sew. Right now I am making a "Kate Smith" dress for my GD who is going to sing God Bless America in a 1940 show. I also love making doll clothes. I do some sewing for me, mostly t shirts and pjs.

I started sewing when I was about 5. Since then I have done needlepoint, embroidery by hand and machine, cross stiitch, made my own clothes, took courses and was a professional dressmaker and then found quilting.

I enjoyed this so much, that I took classes to qualify as a teacher and now teach this in a local community centre. Give me a needle, even a knitting one and I will do something with it, and I forgot crochet...... can do that badly too! LOL.

Blog Entries
    Hello David;
    I am a retired clothing designer, I have been sewing all my life. I am now very much into making quilts. I find it relaxing as well as rewarding. It is very much like doing a painting. It was good to see another guy on the board.
    Dick

Blog Entries
    I also sew many things like pillows, crafts, clothes, etc

I used to sew clothing when my girls were small. I made several bridesmaids gowns years ago and the last article of clothing I made was a prom dress back in 1994. I much prefer quilting!!

I love to sew for my great niece. Make lots of cute things. If you need some help just pm me. I'll do what i can.........have fun.

I sew many things, clothing included.

I sew but very little nowadays mostly nightwear.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast