Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Ladies and Gentlemen I need your help! kitchenaid mixer cover

Blog Entries

Ladies and Gentlemen I need your help! kitchenaid mixer cover

I started making quilts with never knowing how to sew, so I can make quilts but as far as anything else goes with sewing I don't know a thing. I am trying to make a kitchenaid mixer cover It tells you to cut two curved end panels and one long straight piece to sew in between. I am going to put cording/piping on the curved pieces first and then sew on the straight piece. How do I sew the curved piece and straight piece together . Do I sew right sides together and cut notches in the straight piece as I go around the curve. I hope this makes sense and that someone can help me. If anyone knows of a tutorial, that would be great. I couldn't find one. Thanks millions in advance.

Use lots of pins before you start to sew and ease a tiny bit extra of the straight piece fabric in between the pins. Remember that the actual seam line is the only place the fabrics need to lay smooth. Then after sewing, you can clip and/or trim the seam to get rid of the bulk.
    It also can help to sew with the fullness next to the feed dogs as they will help ease the fabric as you sew.
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

When you pin, start with the center point of both pieces. Now pin from the corners up to the curve. From this point pin often easing in the fullness. I would find center point between pins and keep going that way to fit it all together

Blog Entries
    i made a newspaper pattern around the mixer fold out top fullness at the top.
    cut paper to fit top, mark cf and cb
    split up the back for pattern, for curved fit. add hem and sa
    i made mine out of heavy clear plastic,with no pleats.

Blog Entries
    it helps to ease the bulk in. what that means is, to put the fuller side on top and curve the fabric over your finger, so that the lesser or straight fabric is closet to your finger. this will help ease the fuller fabric, the curved side in. use lots of pins about 8 per inch, this will take up a lot of the slack. hope this helps, that's how I do sleeve caps on a constructed blazer. hope this helps.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

My sister made me a cover using a woven placemat. She cut two rounded ends and just sewed the placemat to them.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

I fold the panel in half, and the curved piece in half, marking with pins. Then match up the pins (in the middle) and continue to pin outwards, making sure the ends match when you get to the bottom.

Hope this makes sense. I've made many kitchen aid covers. They are so nice because they keep the bowl from getting dusty.

Name:  IMG_1227.jpeg
Views: 1071
Size:  28.0 KB

Name:  IMG_6043.jpeg
Views: 1100
Size:  21.1 KB

Name:  IMG_6067.jpeg
Views: 1054
Size:  36.2 KB

Name:  IMG_6069.jpeg
Views: 1067
Size:  35.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Creative clutter is better than idle neatness.

I want to make one of those kitchenmaid cover but have no pattern. It looks esay to do/sugarloaf

This is the I made ages ago and posted links to the pattern. But the links are no good now, the author must have taken them down. I just googled "stand mixer cover pattern" and found what I was looking for.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

This is a good beginning project because mistakes won't be embarrassing. For practice, you can also make potholders, oven mitts, pillowcases, etc. - things that you don't wear out in public. (I hope!) A great first garment is a pair of elastic-waistband sleep/lounge pants. After that you'll be ready for your public appearance.

Chasing Hawks, I found the same pattern online along with the embroidery design. Made one for my sister's KitchenAid and she loves it. Now she wants me to make her a cover for her other machine she got last year but don't think I have enough of the same fabric to do it. I did make her a couple hot pads and a magnetic note pad to match. I'm still using my old Hamilton Beach mixer on a stand.....1948 as it still works like a charm and I haven't found a need to replace it.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I didn't check out the pattern, but I have a pocket added to each side of mine, that is about six inches high and all the way across each side. One side edge is ''bound" and an open edge and the other side is also "bound" and has a velcro closing. I like it to put the paddle in one side and a few loose recipe cards in the other. Covers look attractive on the counter (I don't have under counter space for storing the mixer)

HI MARCY, THIS IS SUGARLOAF I WOULD LIKE THE KITCHENAID MIXER PATTERN. I DONT KNOW HOW TO SEND YOU MY ADRESS SO I;LL GIVE YOU MY E MAIL ADDRESS SO YOU CAN EMAIL ME ANDF ILL SDEND YOU NMY MAILING ADRESS. ERMAIL ADDFRESS; [email protected] sugarloaf

Blog Entries
    girlfriend, you did an amazing job on your kitchenaid stand mixer cover.

chasinghawk, yours is fantastic too!
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    sugarloaf to send a private message, click on the bold name, like LYNNIE
    a little box will come up with the option to send a private message.
    when you click on it, a new box will come up. put in the title of the message, then type up msg. then go to the bottom fo the message and send it. good luck.