Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Any other hand quilters out there?

I'm the only quilter I personally know that still does all my quilting (well, most of it) by hand. I've tried machine piecing, but just find it too constraining - you're tied to some source of electricity. I like to take the pieces for a block with me and join my husband on the bank of a creek and watch him fish, or watch a sunrise, or just ride in the car. I used to have a long commute to work and made a complete top while waiting for all the traffice lights to change to green! Are there more quilters like me out there, or am I really a dying breed?

Blog Entries
    I do both. Machine sew when at home, hand sew when on the go!

I hand piece some of my quilts and hand quilt. I do a lot of applique, always by hand because I've never gotten good results using the sewing machine.

I haven't used my electric sewing machine in about a year.

I started out a few years ago only hand piecing and hand quilting. Just within the past year have I branched out into doing it on the machine. I enjoy both.

For speed in getting a project to completion I am probably going to do a good percentage of my piecing by machine.

However I really like doing the actual quilting by hand.

Once again, there are going to be times when I'll do the quilting by machine as well, if for no other reason than I want to prove to myself that I can learn how to do it where it doesn't look like it was done by a 3 year old!

Blog Entries
    I am new to quilting but am doing a quilt by hand...I am enjoying it so much..Carrying it around gives me so much freedom, this way I can watch tv with hubby and kids..Even though I am not really watching tv :wink: but sewing instead..

Blog Entries
    look up borntohandquilt in Germany. her work is out of this world gorgeous!!

Blog Entries
    Yes - I hand quilt the small quilts for myself. I like the portability and the peacefulness that comes from hand quilting. It helps create quiet and slowness in my life.

Jim
    due to hand surgeries I cant do hand stitch but my wife does...she takes her grandmothers flower garden withher to quild everytwo weeks of course we will be OLD before she finishes it, quild is th eonly place she sews on it...the rest of the time she is running the quilting machine

i hope to soon be a hand quilter

I hand quilt. Mostly machine quilting though.

I am an avid handquilter and I do wholecloth quilts - and I sew the length of fabric together by hand! :-)
    I think we have many quilters here on the board who piece and quilt by hand!

Blog Entries
    I do both, hand and machine piece and hand and machine quilt depends on mood and where I am

Blog Entries
    I only hand quilt. It is very relaxing to me and I love the way the quilt develops. I do my piecing on my machine though.

I've only machine pieced and quilted for a long time, but this year I've started piecing by hand again for exactly the reason you said - I can do it anytime, anywhere! I'm really loving it - I forgot how much. Only one of my current projects is being done by hand, but I have a feeling there are many more to come!

I only hand quilt or tie, prefer to hand quilt though. I did send one out to be LAQ because 1) I called it an expierement, not crazy about it, cut too wide 2 definately knew I would never do anything with it 30 maybe, just maybe I might like it. If not, it will be done and I can give it away so I never have to see it again. LOL!!

I do both but prefer the look of hand quilting.

Blog Entries
    I don't usually hand piece, but I do like to hand quilt some things. I'm doing a Grandmothers Flower Garden entirely by hand, and that will be hand quilted. I'm glad there are still some people that do hand quilting.

Blog Entries
    It's been a while since I handed quilted a quilt. I enjoy hand quilting and find it relaxing and therepuetic. I could work on it for an hour and feel that just a couple minutes have gone by.

Blog Entries
    i do both, i always have a hand project going, i have 'down-time' at work so sit and sew. i love the precision of hand piecing and it gives me lots of opportunity to experiment and try new techniques. i find it amazing how much i can get done, 10 minutes here, 20 minutes there :thumbup:
    my sewing machine piecing is more...utility sewing...just getting it done.

Blog Entries
    I have never hand pieced a quilt, so far. I piece by machine, but I hand quilt every top. Is it difficult to make your hand pieced squares match up for an entire quilt top?

Blog Entries
    I have never hand pieced a quilt, so far. I piece by machine, but I hand quilt every top. Is it difficult to make your hand pieced squares match up for an entire quilt top?

Quote Originally Posted by babyfireo4
    Is it difficult to make your hand pieced squares match up for an entire quilt top?
    I think it's easier to match up hand pieced blocks than machine piecing.

Hi, I love hand sewing and quilting. I cant seem to get the right "feel" about machine quilting.I also take something with me to work. I embroideried set of redwork while waiting for the doors to open.Peewee from Pa.

I hand piece and quilt and machine piece and quilt my quilts just depends what mood I'm in. I do hand work in the evening while I sit with hubby watching tv, I always have a hand project or 2 or 3 (LOL) in the works.

I hand quilt...I don't even own a sewing machine...lol
    right now I am working on a yo yo coverlet for my grand-daughters wedding in July...then I will go back to the embroidered guilt I have started in friendship blocks...
    so far I've made and sewn together 1,204 yo yo's...and yes it is all done by hand...no clover tool used...I am a hand crafter at heart...I do all kinds of crafts...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast