Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any use for felt in quilting? >

Any use for felt in quilting?

Any use for felt in quilting?

Old 03-18-2017, 07:20 AM

Default Any use for felt in quilting?

I have about two yards of felt and haven't used them for whatever since given to me. Is there any use for it in any quilting project?
Old 03-18-2017, 07:42 AM

I have made needle books (two pieces of felt 3"X4" layered, stitched through the middle and folded over). If you are in a guild, you could make a gift for the members, or if you have a bazaar table all the members could help out and cut and stitch them for sale. A small piece of felt beside your machine is great for catching little tads of thread. Pincushions would be fun. If it is all one color you could make a machine cover?? Lots of idea out there, hope you get a few good ones here.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:13 AM

Are you talking about the polyester or acrylic felt, normally used for crafts, or felted wool?

Craft felt won't wash well, so you'd want to make something that wouldn't need washing - a wall hanging, maybe? I've seen cute Advent calendars made from felt, as well as felt ornaments. Ornaments may be for any season, depending on color/design used. Embellished with embroidery, they can be very simple or very complex.

If it's all one color (a single cut), of craft felt, I think you'd have to use it for the base of a wall hanging of some sort. Or, donate it to an elementary school for use in their art classes or possibly for costumes.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:24 AM

I have used felt in lieu of thin batting in fabric book covers, quilted throw pillow tops, and a purse flap.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:45 PM

if its wool you can use for applique
Old 03-18-2017, 02:52 PM

It's not wool. Probably acrylic or polyester. I'll ask our school art and drama teachers if they could use their t. If not, I'll donate it to the thrift store. I don't want to keep it around.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:47 PM

I use it for practicing FMQ, grabbing two of those pre-cut pieces of craft felt is faster than doing a traditional quilt sandwich and they work great for practicing new motifs, or doodle quilting. I also bought a bolt and usd some to cover my design wall, and have been using the irest in art quilts. I've turned some of my FMQ doodles on the precut felt into wall pieces by gluing them to those 9" x12" stretched canvases that they sell in art and craft stores and then painting the edges of the canvas to match the color of the felt.

Rob