Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody doing this Bonnie Hunter Mystery?

Blog Entries

Question Anybody doing this Bonnie Hunter Mystery?

Bonnie Hunter has posted the intro to her new Mystery Quilt over at Quiltville, anyone going to give it a go?

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2011/...-orca-bay.html

I've never done a Mystery Quilt before and I'm not the best "piecer" there is, I tend to do more applique. I've got the Yellow Brick Road pattern down though. All straight edges! LOL

But I think I'm gonna give it a go. I've got tons of scraps that need to be used up. Anyone else??!

I checked out her site. The mystery quilt seems very interesting to try. I might just do it. However, I need to wait until after the holidays are over.
    "Our deeds determine us as much as we determine our deeds" George Eliot

Blog Entries
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention! Have to figure out how to get her updates or set myself a calendar but am thinking that I might try. Have tons of scraps!
    Cherylsea

Blog Entries
    Be sure to print it out as she will be removing it from the site in May. It's going to come out in her new book in July

Read it this morning.....like I need another project LOL.....

Quote Originally Posted by COYOTEMAGIC View Post
    Bonnie Hunter has posted the intro to her new Mystery Quilt over at Quiltville, anyone going to give it a go?

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2011/...-orca-bay.html

I've never done a Mystery Quilt before and I'm not the best "piecer" there is, I tend to do more applique. I've got the Yellow Brick Road pattern down though. All straight edges! LOL

But I think I'm gonna give it a go. I've got tons of scraps that need to be used up. Anyone else??!
    I really think you'll like it once you get started. I've done a couple of her mysteries and they've all been fun and a great way to use up scraps. You will certainly get lots and lots of practice piecing. The steps aren't difficult (and all are very well-illustrated), but there are lots of pieces. If you don't get all piecing done before the next 'clue', start on the new ones to keep up w/ the group; makes it easier if you have any questions.

I'm thinking about doing mine is oranges, browns, and greens for my dark/high contrast colors. Got the idea while reading the email and seeing a maple tree changing colors outside my office window.

Blog Entries

Smile

I would love to, but I will have to be happy following along and watching what others make.
    Sadiemae

Do you think it is too advanced for a beginning quilter to try?

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in FL View Post
    Most of her patterns are good for a confident beginner. She shows step-by-step with pictures how each of the pieces is made. Her directions are triple-checked for accuracy. And, there will be many posts/blogs once the actual sewing begins. Why not give it a try? It would be a good way to learn a new technique or two, perhaps, that will help you with your other quilts. Give her website a visit quiltville.com and see if you like what you see. I think she has a very relaxed style and method, and that works for me.

Thanks so much for reminding me of this. Will copy and save to do after the holidays.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams...live the life you have imagined. Thoreau

Banned
    Blog Entries
    not me...I am TWo mystery quilts behind..hehehe.....heard this one is NOT for the beginner nor faint of heart!

wow is that going to be labor intensive
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fresno-CA/Gingerbread-Creations-Boutique/198849646808507

HI-thanks for this thread. I looked over her blog and decided it's another to add to my reader. I also checked out this mystery quilt and I think I will do it. I haven't done a true mystery quilt before and have always wanted to do one. I think it will be fun and a great way to use fabric in my "collection!" (Not that I need another project, but hey, why not?!?! Maybe we can keep this thread going as a place for us to chat about it-that would be fun too. What do you think??
    Karen, aka yayaquilts (yaya-Greek for grandma to 5 beautiful granbabies, 2 girls & 3 boys)
    http://kpscarlettandchief.blogspot.com
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and the fingers just won't work anymore."

Blog Entries
    I checked out all the steps of one of the earlier mystery quilts and it looks like fun - may need to try this time...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yayaquilts View Post
    HI-thanks for this thread. I looked over her blog and decided it's another to add to my reader. I also checked out this mystery quilt and I think I will do it. I haven't done a true mystery quilt before and have always wanted to do one. I think it will be fun and a great way to use fabric in my "collection!" (Not that I need another project, but hey, why not?!?! Maybe we can keep this thread going as a place for us to chat about it-that would be fun too. What do you think??
    I received her email, checked it out ,looks really labor intensive, but I still want to try it. One of the perks of the boards new face lift is we could start our own group ,yeah, how ? not sure, but I did see that option. will have to check it out . I'm in!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in FL View Post
    Her mysteries are not complicated, but Bonnie will tell you they are labor intensive with a lot of pieces. She does a great job of explaining and if you follow the group you can ask questions and get extra help.
    Sadiemae

Is there a way to sign up so I can remember when a new step is posted? I looked around on her blog site but couldn't find that option.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams...live the life you have imagined. Thoreau

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nursie76 View Post
    Is there a way to sign up so I can remember when a new step is posted? I looked around on her blog site but couldn't find that option.
    I don't know about email, but there is a Facebook page and a Yahoo Group that might help. Sorry I couldn't answer about an email.
    Sadiemae

I am going to save all the instructions so I can do it later. I'm trying to use up alot of my stash and I like alot of her patterns.
    Debbie

Winter/South Florida;Summer/anywhere & everywhere North
    I just finished sortin' my stash & picking out my colors, purples, blues/teals and browns. I've never done a mystery so I'm really looking forward to it. Just hope I have time to keep up.
    Certified basketcase
    Diane

I love her number one rule...LOL I don't know that I'll be doing the mystery quilt, I've got so many projects in the works as it is..
    Carol
    SARCASM...just one more service I provide

Gosh, thanks for the heads up! I just love Bonnie's style - she's so laid back & fun. I've been looking for some motivation to get me back to quilting. This might be just the ticket!
    I'd love for you to visit my blog, Life Full of Laughter, sometime!

I will need to check that one out - this year for the first time I'm doing the Border Creek Station Mystery Quilt has anyone done this one?

Thanks, I'm still working on last years (which I didn't really love), maybe this year I'll be more enamored with it:>

I am thinking about it. Will have to go check out my scraps against the material requirements

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast