Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
anybody had issuses with this? >

anybody had issuses with this?

anybody had issuses with this?

Old 02-11-2013, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I didn't realize Olfa has more than one circle cutter. I have this one and it works wonderfully. I cut a yard of fabric into 5" circles in less than 10 mins! http://www.createforless.com/Olfa+Ro...utm_medium=cse
That's the one I just purchased. I tried it yesterday and it seems to be fine. I think I will cut only one layer at the time.
Normally I don't buy gadgets, but I need a lot of them, so I decided to give this one a try. Seems easier than the rulers for circle cutting. At least, that's what I am hoping for.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:03 PM

I don't want to sound like a smart-aleck & I haven't done circles for yo yos or a quilt, but wouldn't it be easier & cheaper to just use a compass?
Old 02-11-2013, 01:44 PM

A member of our local quilt guild invented this Wonder Arc ruler and it is amazing the type of quilts you can create!
Old 02-11-2013, 04:02 PM

a long time ago I purchased a set of different sized templates that you can cut with the small rotary cutter;
don't remember where I purchased them or from whom, sorry. I use them a lot for yo yo's.
I have also used old CD's, cups, saucers, plates or made my own with cardboard boxes and freezer paper
glued on top with the size they are...and used the small cutter on them and it works.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by JudeWill View Post
I don't want to sound like a smart-aleck & I haven't done circles for yo yos or a quilt, but wouldn't it be easier & cheaper to just use a compass?
Normally I agree with you. You don't need all these gadgets. See my answer on #21. However, I had to purchase a new compass anyways. I only paid #13.80 for my circle cutter. The prices seem to be all over the place, so you really need to search for the best price.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I didn't realize Olfa has more than one circle cutter. I have this one and it works wonderfully. I cut a yard of fabric into 5" circles in less than 10 mins! http://www.createforless.com/Olfa+Ro...utm_medium=cse
I have this one too and I really find no problem with using it. I also have the two templates mentioned in this thread. I think all come in handy, each used for different techniques (along with the old standby of whatever on hand that is round in the size needed, or pencil and string). As far as the clover yo-yo makers....I just cut squares, or a piece of scrap that fits and then trim when put into device.......

I have a questions not related to this....

In the digest when wanting to reply you have to reply with quote, whereas in Home....you have the choice of reply, or reply in quotes...why????????the different setup?????
Old 02-12-2013, 12:44 PM

just to be clear we are talking about this product? http://www.samflaxny.com/browse.cfm/...f_4,20563.html

Piece o' junk ! If someone figures out the magic please let me know.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Steady Stiching View Post
just to be clear we are talking about this product? http://www.samflaxny.com/browse.cfm/...f_4,20563.html

Piece o' junk ! If someone figures out the magic please let me know.
Have you checked out how to videos on YouTube? It is very simple to use. The videos really helped me when I first purchased mine
Old 02-12-2013, 07:46 PM

I also have the circle cutter that auntpiggylpn has. I love it. I have a little trouble cutting the smaller circles. If I need them bigger than the cutter goes I dismantle it and tape a stick to it and then tape the parts back together. Works very well. I needed tons of paper circles and did them this way. I save my dull and nicked blades to cut paper etc.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by ktbb View Post
Sorry you had so much trouble...but to address a different part of your message - if you bought the yoyo tools, you don't have to cut circles with the rotary - just put fabric in the tool and rough cut with scissors and hand stitch.
I have most of the Clover YoYo Tools including the Oval and Butterfly shapes and with all of them I cut a squares or rectangle slightly larger than I need, place it in the tool, hold it with the sewing side up, fold the fabric out over the sides of the tool then use the side of the tool as a quide for the scissors to cut around the circle, this usually gives me plenty of turn under to complete the process, unless I use a satin or organza which frays a lot, on these I will cut the circle bigger. I don't think I would have ever made YoYo's the old fashion way, but with the Clover Tools I probably have made hundreds, the variety of different Christmas Decorations I can make has astonished even me, sorry I have no pictures, they sell as quick as I can make them. Specialty tools are not my thing, if I can use something I already have around the house I use that, I would rather spend my money on fabric.