Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anybody Know about Fabric scales?

I went to a yard sale and found this old fabric scale that measures fabric. It's made by Alfred Sutter Co. I have never heard of one let alone seen one, I asked the guy about the price for his vintage singer sewing machine, and he said he'd sell both machines to me for 20.00, I told him only one was a sewing machine and he was as surprised as I was, but he still gave them both to me for the 20.00.
    Thanks for any help.

Blog Entries
    Pictures please!

Blog Entries
    When I was a kid they has this gadget that they ran the fabric thru and it measured as it went thru. When it reached the precise amount, it had a blade that chopped it and the lady would take it out and tear it. That may be what you have. I haven't seen one in years.

Quote Originally Posted by hobo2000
    When I was a kid they has this gadget that they ran the fabric thru and it measured as it went thru. When it reached the precise amount, it had a blade that chopped it and the lady would take it out and tear it. That may be what you have. I haven't seen one in years.
    Thank you, this is a small one and fits inside a sewing machine type case, I guess that's why he thought it was a machine.

The singer sewing machine has the #EJ-496484 on it.
    Sorry can't post pictures yet as My card slot on my computer is not working.

Blog Entries
    The Penney and Montgomery Wards department stores in the town I grew up in had the meter mounted to the cutting table. My word, I had forgotten all about them :-)

Hobo2000, your description is right on target. Those were the days prior to perma press and we drew threads and straightened the cotton fabrics. When perma press came in the fabric was cut as is because the grainline would return to the position of the final processing.

The only time I have seen fabric ripped in recent years was at a quilt shop where the owner tore the extra wide backing fabric by manufacturer's suggestion.

I have had my eye out for one of those fabric gadgets for years! If you are interest in selling it please let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by sweet
    I have had my eye out for one of those fabric gadgets for years! If you are interest in selling it please let me know!
    I have never seen one myself, it's pretty neet, I love to collect different sewing items, but this was a super surprise for sure.

Blog Entries
    Me too! It's been a looooooong time!!

Quote Originally Posted by kay carlson
    The Penney and Montgomery Wards department stores in the town I grew up in had the meter mounted to the cutting table. My word, I had forgotten all about them :-)

Hobo2000, your description is right on target. Those were the days prior to perma press and we drew threads and straightened the cotton fabrics. When perma press came in the fabric was cut as is because the grainline would return to the position of the final processing.

The only time I have seen fabric ripped in recent years was at a quilt shop where the owner tore the extra wide backing fabric by manufacturer's suggestion.
    :shock: :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by bjnicholson
    Me too! It's been a looooooong time!!

Quote Originally Posted by kay carlson

:shock: :shock:
    Well the guy I purchased this from said he's been in business for over 35 years and this is the first one he's ever seen.

Funny you should mention this, just yesterday some one asked me at work why we don't use those any more. Personally, I hate tearing fabric, T think it ruins too much of it.

There's a machine called a measuregraph:

http://www.measuringmachines.co.uk/mgraph.html

I remember something similar to this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Measureg...-/140438171050

Blog Entries
    I think those machines went out of service in the late 1950's to early 1960's. They were not being used when I worked part-time at sewing/fabric shops while I was in college from 1967 forward. That's when the perma press fabrics of cotton and polyester came in like gangbusters. Oh my, sometimes the bolts of new fabric smelled like formeldehyde (?) and the odor could not be removed by laundering. The only thing I can equate it to now would be poly/cotton perma press sheet sets with an unpleasant odor from chemical processing.

My JoAnn's has one that they use to measure the fabric on bolts(drapery, vinyl, & upholstery fabrics)!!! I also remember them when I was younger at our 5 & 10 stores, McCroy's & Woolworth's!!!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I remember those from teh olden days. They were so cool. The clerk would pull it thru and then click it to cut and rip it. Vintage fro sure. Better check on teh value before selling it. If is works, I'd use it for sales. Boy would it come in handy for me right now. That's the only part of selling I hate is the measuring every piece. Good find.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Crafter
    There's a machine called a measuregraph:

http://www.measuringmachines.co.uk/mgraph.html

I remember something similar to this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Measureg...-/140438171050
    Thanks everyone, it looks nothing like either one of these have been trying to research it, no luck so far, April will post a picture tonight for me.

I can't wait to see it. I'd love to have one like what was posted I remember some store that I shopped in with mom used to have one. Was it Goldblatts? Wards? I don't remember.

Ohhh yeah! I remember these! A little dial on the top indicated the amount of fabric run through the meter.

Hi Everyone
    Here is the scale I found. Still doing some research on it.
    Kimberly
    Attached Images Attached Images

And here is the sewing machine I found
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Theresa
    Ohhh yeah! I remember these! A little dial on the top indicated the amount of fabric run through the meter.
    Whoops! I wasn't talking about a scale - more like a measuring device! Sorry!

I am really stymied on this one. I have tried looking it up and seem to be coming up against a block wall. I don't think this is for fabric measuring. Looks more like a drafting device. Anxious to find out what this really is!

What a mystery.........

From what I can find the yield scale is an industrial device for measuring thread count and weight of fabric in a factory setting. All yield scales I can find now are digital. This would be sort of a collector's item but I don't know if there would be a market for it.

Okay, I found one on www.probixbid.com if I've spelled that right...it sold for $6.00 and was the exact picture of yours. They did not list a description which was what I was looking for. Bummer....

Not sure if it's the same, tried to fine it??The chart included with this says it for measuring fabric's and knit goods on an accurate means of determining square yards per pound and ounces?? Has lots more about it as well, but to much to write??

OH, my mistake it was proxibid.com...and I went to find it again and it must have been deleted as it had been sold. Dang, it truly was the same as yours. Wish they'd had a description as I am very curious about it. I kept looking for awhile and haven't found anything yet...sometimes it's just the way you word everything. Wish I'd bookmarked that site for you and we'd have it.

So it says it was for measuring fabric....how did they do it with that? Have you figured it out yet?

I think you got a fabulous unique vintage find!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast